Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with new setup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shanelee

shanelee

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

Hello, and thank you for the read.
I just moved into my new house and decided to make the switch to comcast cable performance internet 20/4. I purchased a motorola surfboard sb6121 modem and a netgear n600 router WNDR3400v2 model that is 10/100 and modem is 10/100/1000. My main question boils down to this. . . . Am I able to and should i consider switching to a router that supports 1000 or should I stick with the setup I have. My speeds are right on target when I run speed tests. For a couple hours I tried to google my condition and could not find anything relating to the question I have. I know the speed differences, however, I'm having trouble knowing if it would benefit me to have 1000 being on a home network. (on a side note I'm in process of my schooling working towards a degree in networking so some explanation rather than no or yes would be great because as we all know you learn by doing!!)

Again thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

If you have an actual LAN network setup with file sharing or media streaming then yes, I would go with gigabit for your LAN network. If you're only doing internet access, then you are well below the 100mb/s limit of 10/100 ethernet on your current router. If that's the case, then going gigabit wouldn't help you at all.

For internet access, there's no need for gigabit until you were reaching download speeds in the 55-60mb/s range.

EDIT: Another thing to consider is what your end user devices support. If they are only equipped with 10/100mb/s cards then it would be pointless.

Edited by NpaMA, 29 May 2012 - 09:26 PM.

#3 shanelee

shanelee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:46 PM

Thank you that 100% makes sense. I do very little Lan transferring right now so 100 is more than enough for the document sharing I do from time to time. Thanks for your input was simple and to the point!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users