Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer getting slow over time

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Static Shock

Static Shock

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

So this is a topic that has been asked all over the place. However, I like to speak in terms of numbers. So I would like to rephrase the question with a scenario.

I build a computer and install all my choice programs, and lets say it runs at 100% capacity. 2 years later, after no part upgrades, no defragging or other maintenance tasks, and making sure to install all updates, it runs are 50% of what it previously used to run when I built it.

I decide that I want to recover that speed, so I do the following:

Completely blow out all dust
Defrag
Shut off start up programs
Run a registry cleaner
Clean out temporary files
Remove malware

Once I do all of this, what percent of my original 100% speed can I expect to recover? Will I ever be able to get back to 90-99% of my original performance?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

not sure how you are benchmarking with these percentages but your list of to-do's should show a marked improvement. However nothing improves like a complete reinstall of the OS and a fresh start. Only then will it be close to when you first built it.

#3 Static Shock

Static Shock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

I don't really think my method of benchmarking is important. It was running at 100%, and two years later it was running at 50% of what it was. And your response wasn't really helpful because it lacked numbers. I am asking the question so that in the future I can explain to non-tech savvy people why computers get slow and how much speed they can expect to get back when doing maintenance tasks.

#4 pachm

pachm

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:58 PM

as a "tech savvy" person im sure you already know that registry cleaners are not recommended, as far as static`s response he is 100 percent correct. ccleaner is a good tool for finding and cleaning out old temp files ect..

#5 Static Shock

Static Shock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:27 PM

as a "tech savvy" person im sure you already know that registry cleaners are not recommended, as far as static`s response he is 100 percent correct. ccleaner is a good tool for finding and cleaning out old temp files ect..

You are correct, I put it on the list just to be thorough. But I am still not getting a straight answer :/

#6 pachm

pachm

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

if your running the same programs as when you bought your rig, them yes you should be up there. if your running new programs that require more resources then obviously it will me more taxing on your system. also check your temps with a tool such as speed fan. Im sure if you post your system specs you will be able to get a little more advice.p.s. you should be able to regain most of what your systems original performance providing there are no underlying issues. hope this helps just a little bit.

Edited by pachm, 02 June 2012 - 11:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users