Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Normal Operation Temp?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jnk1296

jnk1296

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:31 PM

I'm just a wee bit curious about this. When i got my system back at the end of 2010, I would look at SpeedFan and it would tell me that my system's idle temperature was about 72F. Now, however, when I look at the temperature, my CPU idles at about 90F.

Is this just normal to happen over time, or is it the summer air or something? I know this isn't dust, because I just spent the better part of seven hours last night taking this entire machine apart down to the bare case so as to clean it (there was quite a bit of dust.)

Or am I just worrying myself for nothing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

To be honest this is something that does happen over timethat has a very easy fix. The problem with your rising temperatures is mostlikely caused from the thermal paste between your processor and heatsinkbreaking down. Usually I recommend that thermal paste be replaced every 2 yearsdue to breakdown / drying out. What happens is the liquid in the compoundevaporates over time and leaves small pockets of air in its place the result isclimbing temperatures due to air being an insulator and not a conductor ofheat. Although the temperatures you are reporting are far from critical I wouldrecommend getting a tube of artic silver or any other premium heatsink compoundand replacing the thin layer between the processor and heatsink.

Larry D. Lawrence II
MCSE, MCP,ACMT, ACTC
Dell, HP, Toshiba, Apple, Lenovo, and IBM Certified Technician

#3 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

Duly noted. I'll take your advice, thank you very much. Luckily, Amazon sells Arctic Silver cheaply, so I've gone ahead and ordered a tube. :D Again, thank you. I thought this might have had something to do with it, but with it only being a year and a half old, I wasn't too sure the compound would need replacing yet. Guess I'm wrong. xD

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

You can also install HWMonitor for cross referencing software reading temp. values. There has been known faulty readings when using speedfan so its better to double check it.

Tekken

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:37 AM

Probably another factor would be the higher ambient temperature due to the summer heat.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

Alright. I replaced the thermal compound. It was nerve-racking, really, as I've never done it before (although youtube has a way of educating xD).

It might have to do with the lower ambient temps. we've been having lately, but almost immediately after replacing the compound, my CPU now idles at about 82 F. And I have confirmed this on both SpeedFan and HWMonitor. :D

I just hope that when the summer heat returns (it's supposed to tomorrow, actually) that the temps won't rise back up. But I'm hopeful.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:04 AM

Search for min./max. temp. for your i5 processor. Just like this link

Tekken

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:18 AM

82F is impressive temperatures for idle :thumbup2:

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users