Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EdithBunker

EdithBunker

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:44 PM

I had installed Sygate firewall a little over a montha ago after a reformat. It was user friendlyy enough, but the SMCwas always "not responding" in my task amnager, and at times, it wouldn't start when i started up the computer--not even manually. I didn't want anything too resource heavy, so I tried Jetico, at the suggestion of a friend, after dumping Sygate yesterday.

Jetico is not very user friendly at all, and doesn't remember from one start up to another what I will allow to access the web--I have to reallow it every time I just want IE! AKKKK! The problem is, I'm not always familiar with the terms used, and I'm guessing it's probably that I haven't told it the right thing. But it seems resource heavy--My computer freezes up frequently since downloading it and CTL>ALT>DEL doesn't work--I have to shut down at the power switch. I've run all my scans, I have no viruses or malware, so that's not it. I counted 16 pop up boxes asking me if i wanted to allow this or that just trying to open an email--all related to the email server, so i said okay, but it's getting old!!!

I had Zone Alarm a long time ago--(deleted it when we got a router because I thought that was a good enough firewall-- have been told since that it only blocks incoming stuff?) Zone Alarm was very user friendly--even to airheads like me! LOL! I had a lot of stuff on my computer back then--all resource heavy, so I don't know if Zone Alarm was the problem or not--my computer was pretty glitchy at the time.

I'd like to read your opinions on some different free firewalls, and if there are some that are less resource heavy--while still being easy to figure out. My computer since the reformat is not really smooth-running-- (I guess it's just beacuse of the planned obsolesence in computers--I still don't think I have all the drivers I need, and stuff like that).

Thanks!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:36 PM

Zone Alarm is a very good firewall. I use it and recommend it. It blocks both incoming traffic and outgoing. It's the Windows XP firewall that only blocks incoming.

Have you checked Device Manager to see if there are any yellow question marks or exclamation points? (Windows key + Pause/Break key)

#3 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:11 PM

Any firewall is personal lpreference as some blockage is so good that it became a nuisance.....making user frustrating....and a note to take is that sygate is proven to crash along with virus scan. Try not to install the latest 4.0v rather use back the old version, think its 3.2 as its more stable.....check ur virus s/w also. :thumbsup:
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#4 EdithBunker

EdithBunker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:53 PM

Thank you, Herk and Zener.
I finally decided to dump Jetico yesterday--I couldn't even get online yesterday--"page can't be found" errors on everything. (Google, hotmail, yahoo, here). Again, it's likely user error, but it's still not very self explanatory, and Edith the airhead needs simple! :thumbsup:

I didn't want to be with no firewall, so I downloaded Zone Alarm--it's pretty user friendly, although I still don't know what I'm allowing half the time, and right now, nothing that is normally animated is animated-- I thought I had fixed that-- an options tab where i unchecked something to the effect of "block animations". (I can get the exact thing if I need to, I'm typing it from memory right now, because i didn't want to open another thing--I'm down to 44% resources--I have music match open-- that is quite a hog)

Herk, in Device Manager, there is one question mark. It is under "other devices" and when I click the plus sign there are two things listed with a ? One is Office Jet 6100 (Which is my printer and I'm having no trouble with at all). The other is PCI Communication Device And i don't know what that is. If it has anything to do with helping my computer to quit hanging whenever I try to play any media device, that would be a wonderful thing! I have deleted all the media devices, and am adding back one at a time, to see if any particular one is more of a problem than another.

Zener, i wonder if you have something there--the Sygate frequently was cantankerous! LOL! I think I had 4.0. Interesting you should mention the thing about the AV-- I have McAfee, and it's always running some update or something--steals my computer from me for a few minutes (Mouse moves slow while update is dl-ing, and if i am trying to type anything, it freezes the words where they were until the dl is done, or makes any music I my be playing hang. And i never know when it's gonna decide to give me an update--pain inna hiney!) But when I installed ZA, and clicked through the various left-side choices, one being Antivirus monitoring, it's telling me "there is no antivirus running on your computer that Zone Labs can detect. Make sure you are running the antivirus software." The second warning is the same thing about the antivirus update.

When I opened the McAfee Security center, it looks like everything is running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users