Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Micro$oft to charge customer$ $99 to remove OEM 'crapware'

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:30 AM

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/microsoft-to-charge-customers-99-to-remove-oem-crapware/20446

>>>...Microsoft even offers up numbers to show how detrimental this OEM-installed crapware is to your system. Microsoft claims that Signature systems start up 39 percent faster, go into sleep mode 23 percent faster, and resume from sleep a whopping 51 percent faster compared to their crapware-ladened counterparts.

snip

Let's follow the money. The OEMs are paid by a variety of software makers to install crapware onto systems. The OEMs don't disclose how much money they receive from this, but sources tell me that it works out at a few dollars per PC. That doesn't sound like much, but multiply that across millions of PCs and it becomes a significant number.

Then the customer pays the OEM — or a middleman — for the PC, a PC which Microsoft itself admits is "slower-than-should-be" because of all the stuff loaded onto the system unnecessarily. Consumers are expected to take their new PC to a Microsoft Store — though there are currently only 16 of them in the United Statesand pay Microsoft $99 to remove the crapware that the OEMs were paid to install..<<<

OR... you could use a LEGAL copy of a clean OEM version (borrowed / downloaded LEGALLY) do a clean install & use the Product Key affixed to the computer to activate with a Robo-Call to M$ Posted Image Cost? $0.00

OR...Just decrapify it youself/ have a techie friend/Bleepin.com/ help you. Maybe a local small shop Guru for a couple of bucks? Posted Image
Cost? Free? A few bucks? A steak dinner? A coupla beers maybe?

OR... How do you de-crapify your OEM machines?

Edited by Union_Thug, 29 May 2012 - 06:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:01 PM

Microsoft to charge customers $99 to remove OEM 'crapware'

Crapware by whose definition? Many consider Innernetz Ex-PLODE-r 'OEM crapware' , no? For 99 bucks I could get Metro de-crapified from Windows 8?

Sounds like a bargain.
Micro$lop could make a FORTUNE...

Edited by Union_Thug, 29 May 2012 - 09:12 PM.

#3 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:26 PM

isn't it a bit expensive for using Add or remove program tool ?

A big thanks to Dider Stevens

sorry for not being around

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

Nice to know I am cheaper than MS at de-junking a brand new computer ! My normal rate for setting up a new computer for friends and family is a bottle of gin !

Anybody else drink to that ?

Chris Cosgrove :P

#5 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:59 PM

You can download PC Decrapifier for free and ditch the junk and keep the gold all by yourself

#6 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:10 AM

Union_Thug, as always, thanks for the link and info.

Chris - I tend to get a real nice bottle of vodka when helping with a set up/de-crap-a-fying (is that a word?) a new computer, but gin would do as well. :lol:

Enjoy the day everyone,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users