Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 system restore points gets wiped out each time I boot into XP

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:48 AM

In my system I have three operating systems installed for me to boot into - Windows 7, XP & Ubuntu. Windows 7 is the default and probably even the most used one.
The problem is that each time I boot into Windows XP, Windows 7's system restore points get wiped out totally. The same does not happen with XP though. This is really not something that I enjoy since for me being a tinkerer, system restore is something that has helped me a lot of times.

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 29 May 2012 - 04:50 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301224

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/system-restore-points-deleted-in-windows-7-troubleshoot-and-fix

Hope that helps.

#3 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:46 AM

Those do not seem to help. However, I noticed something, currently I have four OSes installed - Windows 8(on a VHD made via 7), Windows 7, Windows XP, and Ubuntu. I saw that for both Windows 7 and Windows 8 - they assigned C: as their partition but the partition for Windows 8 is I: and not really C: - which is for Windows 7.
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#4 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:27 AM

but the partition for Windows 8 is I: and not really C: - which is for Windows 7.

If you set VHD (Windows 8) in the Windows boot lists (in the following picture), windows 8 partition letter will be changed to C as well as windows 7. Maybe windows 7 restore points might be present. :wink:

Posted Image

Edited by sundavis, 13 June 2012 - 06:34 AM.

#5 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:28 AM

but the partition for Windows 8 is I: and not really C: - which is for Windows 7.

If you set VHD (Windows 8) in the Windows boot lists (in the following picture), windows 8 partition letter will be changed to C as well as windows 7. Maybe windows 7 restore points might be present. :wink:

Posted Image

Thanks but I get that know. :)
The problem is that all the restore points that I make in Windows 7 get wiped out when I boot into XP - something I'm not enjoying.
SYSTEM SPECS.

#6 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

Hi Alvas Rawuther,

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, and post a link to it in this thread.

Additionally, could you open your disk management utility and take a print screen showing Volume List and the bottom area displaying the Graphical View and also post.

I am curious as to how you have partitioned the individual operating systems.

Hope this helps.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

No real-time antivirus - MBAM on-demand - Windows 7's Built-in Firewall

The above quote from your signature shows that you are living "On the edge" for any general internet browsing.
An antivirus is essential these days, and "MBAM on-demand" is only a clean-up tool for after you get infected with "some infections".

The Windows 7 Built-in Firewall is your only real protection. Although reasonably decent now, this is very limited in preventing any problems -

Please see the post above from everready, Re: Speccy -

Thank You -

#8 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:31 AM

Hi Alvas Rawuther,

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, and post a link to it in this thread.

Additionally, could you open your disk management utility and take a print screen showing Volume List and the bottom area displaying the Graphical View and also post.

I am curious as to how you have partitioned the individual operating systems.

Hope this helps.

Here's the Speccy snapshot.
And..
Posted Image
Also, another thing I just started thinking about is that why after using Easeus Partition Master Home to shrink and merge some space from F: to E:(since Windows' disk partition tool wouldn't let me) - the Ubuntu partition got corrupt, when I boot into Ubuntu it says it can't be recognized now. All other OSes are running fine. Anyway, the restore points' problem started long before that, so it's not that.

Windows 7 is in C:, G: has XP, F: along with some videos, also has a VHD through which I run Windows 8.

No real-time antivirus - MBAM on-demand - Windows 7's Built-in Firewall

The above quote from your signature shows that you are living "On the edge" for any general internet browsing.
An antivirus is essential these days, and "MBAM on-demand" is only a clean-up tool for after you get infected with "some infections".

The Windows 7 Built-in Firewall is your only real protection. Although reasonably decent now, this is very limited in preventing any problems -

Please see the post above from everready, Re: Speccy -

Thank You -

Here's my reasoning for not using real-time antivirus.
Besides, when I had real-time antivirus running - I got infected by conficker, I then had to try a variety of on-demand scanners to remove it.
Now, when I don't have any real-time antivirus, recent scans by Kaspersky and ESET show that I've no viruses at all on my PC.
So, think.
Also I hate it when antivirus slows my PC down. So maybe I just don't need them.

P.S. : Apart from MBAM, I also run some weekly/bi-weekly online scans using an online scanner like that of ESET.

:)

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 19 June 2012 - 07:02 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.

#9 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

Hi Alvas Rawuther,

From the disk management screen shot, I see all the separate partitions. If Windows 7 is on C: and XP is on G: there is no way XP is removing restore point from the Windows 7 partition.

I recommend you check your Windows 7 system restore disk space usage, as space fills up older restore point are deleted. Look to see what your max. disk usage is set to. You have only 18GB of free space on the Windows 7 partition. Restore points take a lot of space up, maybe you just do not have the room??

Hope this helps.

#10 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:44 AM

@everready
I'm not saying that XP removes the restore points, what I'm saying(or maybe observing) is that Windows 7's restore points get cleared up when I boot into XP.

18 GB of free space should be an awful lot of space for restore points. For eg. I have just one restore point right now, from a scheduled restore(which too will go away if I boot into XP), and it takes just 72 MB of space. Restore points after major changes also don't take up more than 3 gigabytes, I have about 6 gigabytes of space reserved. There ought to be at least one working restore point. But there's not. Because they get deleted. :mellow:
SYSTEM SPECS.

#11 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

Hi again Alvas Rawuther,

Could you please give us the System Restore protection settings you have for the Windows 7 partition (ie which volumes you have protection on , what is selected for restoration, and current usage and max usage).

Additionally, would you run the BCDedit command from an elevated command prompt on the Windows 7 installation and post the results with your next reply.

Hope this helps.

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

- From your Speccy -
Memory slots - Total memory slots: 4
Used memory slots: 2 - Free memory slots: 2
Physical Memory - Memory Usage: 28 % - Total Physical: 4.00 GB - Available Physical: 2.85 GB
Total Virtual: 8.00 GB - Available Virtual: 6.74 GB

Your system should not be slowed by a simple Antivirus, like Microsoft Security Essentials (or similar), which also adds restore points on updates -
Plus you can (should) easily add more RAM to that system to cover any percieved chance of lag caused by any A/virus programs -

Again, just my personal view, so feel free to ignore this post -
Edited for Spelling only -

Edited by noknojon, 20 June 2012 - 05:20 PM.

#13 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:01 AM

Hi again Alvas Rawuther,

Could you please give us the System Restore protection settings you have for the Windows 7 partition (ie which volumes you have protection on , what is selected for restoration, and current usage and max usage).

Additionally, would you run the BCDedit command from an elevated command prompt on the Windows 7 installation and post the results with your next reply.

Hope this helps.

There you go.
Posted Image
C: is the only drive in which System Protection is enabled in Windows 7.

I didn't exactly know how much BCD info you needed. So I attached two files.
Attached File  bcdedit.txt   2.55KB   2 downloads
Attached File  bcdedit detailed.txt   7.28KB   2 downloads

- From your Speccy -
Memory slots - Total memory slots: 4
Used memory slots: 2 - Free memory slots: 2
Physical Memory - Memory Usage: 28 % - Total Physical: 4.00 GB - Available Physical: 2.85 GB
Total Virtual: 8.00 GB - Available Virtual: 6.74 GB

Your system should not be slowed by a simple Antivirus, like Microsoft Security Essentials (or similar), which also adds restore points on updates -
Plus you can (should) easily add more RAM to that system to cover any percieved chance of lag caused by any A/virus programs -

Again, just my personal view, so feel free to ignore this post -
Edited for Spelling only -

I won't ignore you, I can't, I never do. This place is for discussions, for debates and for different opinions to be discussed - to find what might work better, and what won't.

So..
I'm not saying that an antivirus slows down my regular PC usage, or even when I use some resource intensive applications like Photoshop or Illustrator, it doesn't. I'm fine with it. That's not really why I stopped using an antvirus.
The real slowness or lag comes up with gaming, with resource intensive games like Black Ops or Assassin's Creed or GTA IV, and sometimes even with some high-intensity multiplayer games - and I'm an avid gamer, so it's important for me that games run smoothly, so I don't love lag.

Besides, about the adding RAM thing you're right, but I am a student so I don't have much money to spend on hardware each time a breakthrough game comes out(although I often do :P).

..Just my reasoning. Feel free to criticize it. :)

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 21 June 2012 - 02:04 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.

#14 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

Hi Alvas Rawuther,

The system restore disk usage is set for max 6GB usage and you got 18GB free, so I don't see a problem there. The bcdedit clearly shows that that there is only a Windows 7 and a Windows 8 VHD boot on F: available from that partition, so XP is not on that partition as you said.

My only other idea is to look at your virtual memory settings in both the Windows 7 install and XP install. Check total paging file size for all drives, and where the page file is set to be located. Maybe you got the page file in the Windows 7 install set to a custom size that can exceed available space, or in XP you could have the virtual memory located in the C: partition. Worth a look anyway.

Thank for posting your information, and I hope this helps.

#15 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:19 AM

From Microsoft General Questions -
I have an earlier version of Windows on my computer, but when I switch between versions, my restore points disappear. Why?
In this version of Windows, restore points are created differently and are not recognized by earlier versions of Windows.
If you have a dual-boot configuration and you start an earlier version of Windows, the earlier version will delete any restore points created by this version of Windows. If you start this version of Windows, restore points will resume being created automatically.

This is why you are losing Restore Points -
EDITED for spelling -

Edited by noknojon, 24 June 2012 - 12:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users