Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTLDR is missing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bigjohn

bigjohn

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:51 AM

G'day I had a heavily infected HDD so I reformatted it on another PC. I tried to install WXP Pro SP3 and had: Error 4 NTLDR is missing. Tried W7 32 and same error. Also flashed the BIOS. I tried on another PC but could not install WXP at all. Same error.Tried W7 32 on this drive . It installed fine,

It's working now with W7 32, but the MB Is too old to handle it, drivers are not compatible and need to use for some software not supported on W7.

Where could be NTLDR missing from? How to re install (and where) missing NTLDR?

The key board did not work on the BIOS and had to use another one.

Can anyone give me same help please?

Thanks

John

[/sub]

Edited by bigjohn, 29 May 2012 - 03:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:35 AM

Use a bootable CD with something like dban or killdisk on it to wipe the HDD clean (instead of just formatting a partition) and then perform a clean installation of XP. Should work without a problem ... assuming your XP installation disk is good.

Instructions for using dban follow ...

DARIK'S BOOT AND NUKE

If you wish to do a clean install of Windows ...

Download dban (Darik's Boot and Nuke):

"Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN") is a self-contained boot disk that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction."

If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
    Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

Boot from the CD, and with ONLY the one hard drive connected to the system ...
Warning: This will completely wipe ALL drives connected to the system!
Type autonuke at the prompt and press the <ENTER> key.
Allow to complete.
Be patient: It may take some considerable time, depending on the size of the HDD.

Edited by AustrAlien, 29 May 2012 - 05:37 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:40 AM

<<I tried on another PC but could not install WXP at all. Same error>>

Just a note...do not attempt to install XP on another system and then move the hard drive...when you install Windows, you wind up with the settings and drivers for that system and moving the hard drive to a different system will normally produce unnecessary frustration/pain.

Louis

#4 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:50 AM

<<I tried on another PC but could not install WXP at all. Same error>>

Just a note...do not attempt to install XP on another system and then move the hard drive...when you install Windows, you wind up with the settings and drivers for that system and moving the hard drive to a different system will normally produce unnecessary frustration/pain.

Louis

Yes, I know, I only did that to test the HDD. It did not want XP but installed W7 which I re installed on the problem PC.

================

AustrAlien

Thanks for the tip, mate. I'll try your suggestion.

John

#5 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:54 PM

AustrAlien
Mate, thank you very much for your knowledge. It worked like a charm. It took its time but it worked beautifully.

Kind Regards

John

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:10 AM

:thumbup2:
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users