Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange internet behavior after connecting old WinXP computer to Internet

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 FRiNKEL

FRiNKEL

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:45 AM

I fear that an old PC I recently purchased from a garage sale may have had a virus that spread throughout my network.

First, a little bit of background about this computer. Around December of last year, it was infected by a virus that seemed to be neutralized after some assistance. But within a week, the computer wouldn't even start up anymore, as it would freeze up before even displaying the desktop icons. To my dismay, I found out that the Vista install CD had ran away to some remote area of the downstairs garage, so I installed a copy of Windows Server 2008 I had on hand (I got it for free). Anyways, long story short, it turned out there wasn't an antivirus in the world that would let me install their software without paying money, due to the fact I had a server OS. I wound up installing Microsoft Security Essentials, knowing very well that it was unsupported. But, it was the best I could do for free.

Now, let's fast forward to this weekend.
I had found and purchased a PC for 10 dollars at a garage sale. The owners said that it had been in storage for a long time, but it had some nice goodies that came with it, such as a TV tuner card, and it had Windows XP. So, with great amounts of excitement, I slammed that computer tower onto my desk, plugged it in, and turned it on. It wasn't fast, but it seemed a bit cool, and a bit of a blast to the past after having Windows Vista for the longest time. I then connected it to the Internet. At that moment, I noticed that it had a weird problem when downloading files from any site: it would start out downloading a file at full speed, but then it would slow down to a halt. 0 bytes/sec. Pausing and resuming the download would make the download go a bit faster, but doing this was definitely tedious.

And now, it appears that the problem has migrated itself to my my main PC.
Unfortunately, this makes downloading any medium-sized file a challenge. Yesterday, it took me about 1-2 hours to download a program that would usually take me less than 3 minutes to download. Resetting my router hasn't helped. It's not connected to any filters on the phone line. I'll try calling my ISP when they're open, but, knowing the fact my computer has no trustworthy virus protection, I would bet that my computer once again has a virus.

I am currently running Windows Server 2008. This problem has taken effect on any program I use to browse the Internet, whether it's Google Chrome or an installer that needs to download files off of the Internet for it's installation.

EDIT: I have confirmed that this problem also occurs on my iPod Touch, which means it must be a router problem. Could a virus still have anything to do with it, though?

Edited by FRiNKEL, 29 May 2012 - 04:26 AM.

"I've done so much with so little for so long, they now expect me to do the impossible with nothing." - Source unknown to me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users