Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smart Fortress 2012 Removed, Can't Start Firewall Now

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BluePlanet1

BluePlanet1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

I was recently infected with the Smart Fortress 2012 malware. I'm fairly confident I've successfully removed it (ran lots of tools, which found it a removed it, no symptoms currently). However, it seems to have done damage to Windows Firewall. I cannot start the firewall service. I have tried multiple fixes (5 or 6, many per instructions of Microsoft's website), including Microsoft's associated FixIt tool for this problem, to no avail. I still get the message "Windows could not start the Windows Firewall on Local Computer..." (see attached jpg for error).

Also, I tried a System Restore (tried 4 restore points), the process failed each time.

Would greatly appreciate any help.

Attached Files

Edited by BluePlanet1, 28 May 2012 - 08:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

Hello and Welcome -
Can you please list all Antivirus / Antimalware / Firewall programs that you have installed at this time.
More of a chance that one of them are blocking it for now -

Thank You

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

You could try a 3d-party firewall...to see if the problem is broader than you have painted in your post. Inability to download/use a 3d-party firewall would be an indication that your conception about removing all malware...may be incorrect.

Louis

#4 BluePlanet1

BluePlanet1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

Thanks for the thoughts, I have simply re-imaged the entire PC which obviously solved the problem.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

Thanks for letting us know...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users