Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modifying W7 boot settings using linux live cd

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 daedhead8

daedhead8

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

I used MSconfig to set my computer to always boot in safe mode, but booting in safe mode results in a BSOD. Now I have no way of accessing MSconfig to change it back.

I have a puppy linux live cd that I am using to view my windows files, but I don't know what to edit since windows doesn't use a boot.ini file. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

I used MSconfig to set my computer to always boot in safe mode,

Can you please explain the reason for using this type of setting - It is usually only done in extreme situations -
Do you think there is an infection, or another current problem (or just playing around) ? ?

Thank You -

#3 daedhead8

daedhead8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:36 PM

I had a problem with malwarebytes freezing so I wanted to run it in safe mode. I figured changing the setting in msconfig was quicker than hitting F8 at start up. Hindsight is 20/20.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

I figured changing the setting in msconfig was quicker than hitting F8 at start up. Hindsight is 20/20.

How true this is - You can always ask for help first, and hope that the answer is a better solution -
As this seems to be currently "stuck" I will try to get a Linux person to also review this (may be a while) -

Do you still think there may be an infection (reason for MBAM scan) ? Or was that scan plus your Antivirus scans all clean ?
Are you able to download SuperantiSpyware Free and scan with that also -

Thanks for patience -
Please try this (if you can) http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138&view=findpost&p=49525 Remove and reinstall Malwarebytes (Item 7)

Edited by noknojon, 28 May 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#5 daedhead8

daedhead8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

Either there is an infection or my hard drive is failing (which I hope is not the case, since this drive is less than 6 months old and its a WD scorpio black).

Thanks for having a linux guy look at this thread for me....

#6 daedhead8

daedhead8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

UPDATE: My hard drive has completely failed, so I'm sending it in to WD and getting a replacement.

Still, I think this thread could still be useful. It would be good to know how to edit W7 boot settings using a linux live CD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users