Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My grandmother has fallen victim to the MS support telephone scam

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Surma

Surma

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

I just received a phone call from my grandmother who had received a phone call from a man with a heavy Indian accent who claimed to work for Microsoft support. Long story short, I'm 100% certain that this is the new telephone scam that you have probably heard of where they trick you into thinking you have a virus by showing you error entries in the system log. They managed to get her to enter a site called www.ammii.com (there's no server on it any more, just the generic "this domain is for sale" page you get when a domain is not tied to an address) and she downloaded and installed something from that site. She doesn't remember what the program was called, so I don't know what I should have her uninstall. By a lucky coincidence I'm going there on Friday (she lives in another city some distance away) so I can get direct access to the computer then.

For now I need to know if any of her personal information such as credit card number may have been compromised and if she needs to do anything about that, as well as instructions on how to clean up after a successful scam attempt.

Thank you in advance.
---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:00 PM

Does she do any online banking, if so she can check her credit cards online and see if anything was charged.

#3 Surma

Surma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:21 AM

Does she do any online banking, if so she can check her credit cards online and see if anything was charged.

Yes, but since there may be a keylogger or something on the computer I don't think that is a good idea. Though she could always call her bank and inform that her account may be compromised.
---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:47 AM

Yes have her call her bank, and have her talk to the Online Fraud Division.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users