Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE8 hangs or not responding initially

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tonyd3870

tonyd3870

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

I was referred to this forum after help in the Malware forum under "IE8 hangs or very slow after initial boot". There were a few things found but my PC is still acting up.

For the past month of so my Internet Explorer 8 hangs or is "Not Responding" especially after the initial boot. On ocassion, I also get the "Windows Explorer not working" error message. I'm not sure if it's my Windows 7 startup services or an internet explorer issue on my laptop. I didn't see any unnecessary services running or anything I saw that was strange. My Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2012 hasn't found anything virus related. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:43 AM

Can you post what steps have you made in resolving the problem? Reinstalling, resetting IE, running without add-ons, clearing the cache, disabling certain antivirus features?

Tekken

#3 tonyd3870

tonyd3870
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:49 PM

I tried resetting IE8, switching from a IE 32 bit version to the 64 bit version, I clear the cache on a very regular basis (almost weekly), I don't enable anything special with my Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2012 antivirus software. I scan manually and I haven't adjusted any settings since I installed it on 10/2011. I use the Windows Firewall. None of the listed has worked. I also looked at my start-up programs and removed what I thought could have been stalling my system to no avail.

I'm not too familiar with knowing which add-ons are there by default. I have disabled the one I was familiar with (Google toolbar). Currently these are the add-ons that are enabled; Shockwave Flash Object (Adobe), XML HTTP 3.0 and 6.0 (Microsoft), Silverlight (Microsoft), Research (Microsoft), TrendMicro Toolbar, Toolbar Callback Class (TrendMicro), and something called Discuss (publisher unknown).

Maybe I can tried disable one add-on at a time and see if that helps???

I'm starting to wonder if something else because I sometimes would get the stalling effect before IE even starts. I don't know.....

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

Maybe I can tried disable one add-on at a time and see if that helps???

Yes, and try disabling the trend micro toolbar. It may be causing incompatibility issue for your IE browser. http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-us/1056496.aspx Although the link is referring to the 2011 version of trend micro, I have not yet seen or read a fix to the problem. If you are using the trial or free version of your current antivirus, I would take a shot of using another free alternative such as Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast or Avira. How about other browsers installed?

Tekken

#5 tonyd3870

tonyd3870
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

I will try your suggestion in regards to the add-ons. I am using the paid version of Trend Micro.

#6 tonyd3870

tonyd3870
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:14 AM

It seems like disabling the TrendMicro Toolbar may have been the issue. It "seems" to be behaving better since I disabled it. My only issue with that is, I've been using that tool bar since I purchased the software back in October 2011. Why is it acting up now? That part makes me think there's more going on that I'm not aware of. Anyway, thanks for tip and making my situation better! I appreciate it.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:00 AM

There maybe other issues surrounding the toolbar for Titanium security 2012 http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-us/1059213.aspx. If you would prefer using other free antivirus, there are lots of alternative to choose from.

Tekken

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,414 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:53 AM

Do you have the TM "firewall booster" function enabled? If so, try disabling it.

Then reboot and let us know if the problem still exists.

I would actually just uninstall the TM software, keeping the Windows firewall enabled...and install an AV program such as Microsoft Security Essentials...then see if the hangs continue.

Louis

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:43 AM

Hi
If Louis's suggestion as regards the firewall booster doesn't help, One other stray thought.

As Louis suggested How would you feel about downloading a free antivirus and uninstalling the Trend Micro to see how the IE works then?
If you do decide to try that download the free version from here first http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
The disconnect the Internet , Uninstall Trend and install Avast free and then turn on the windows firewall, hook up the Internet again and test.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 11 June 2012 - 11:44 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 tonyd3870

tonyd3870
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:25 AM

There maybe other issues surrounding the toolbar for Titanium security 2012 http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-us/1059213.aspx. If you would prefer using other free antivirus, there are lots of alternative to choose from.

The link didn't work. I'll try to research and find that solution you are referring to. If I had to ditch my paid version of TM, then I guess I would try a free antivirus. I've used the "paid" version of TM for years and never had an issue.

#11 tonyd3870

tonyd3870
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:38 AM

Do you have the TM "firewall booster" function enabled? If so, try disabling it.

Then reboot and let us know if the problem still exists.

I would actually just uninstall the TM software, keeping the Windows firewall enabled...and install an AV program such as Microsoft Security Essentials...then see if the hangs continue.

Louis

No I do not have "firewall booster" enabled. Now that I disabled the TM toolbar it seems to not hang any longer. I'm thinking somthing else is driving the hanging issue because if I go to the Control Panel and select user accounts, I get the hanging or (not responding) message. Same if I try to open the Action Center to fix potential issues. Maybe it's not an IE issue and I need to go to another forum?? I haven't loaded any new software but it seems to be acting different ever since my wife used the PC to update her iPad. I may be reaching tho....

#12 tonyd3870

tonyd3870
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:01 AM

Hi
If Louis's suggestion as regards the firewall booster doesn't help, One other stray thought.

As Louis suggested How would you feel about downloading a free antivirus and uninstalling the Trend Micro to see how the IE works then?
If you do decide to try that download the free version from here first http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
The disconnect the Internet , Uninstall Trend and install Avast free and then turn on the windows firewall, hook up the Internet again and test.

Roger

Like I stated to Louis, it's not hanging once I disabled the TM toolbar and I've used it for years w/o issue. After checking some things via the Control Panel, certain things no longer work like when I try to open the User Accounts. It hangs forever and eventually I get (not responding) and Windows Explorer has stopped working; Check online for a solution or Restart the program. Then it closes the Control Panel and everything works.

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:29 AM

Well maybe its time to reinstall your TM security software hoping it would resolve the issue or disabling certain protection features to check on the difference.

Tekken

#14 tonyd3870

tonyd3870
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

I tried one last thing by running the windows 7 SFC (System File Checker) utility to see if any damaged files could be corrected. Unfortunately, after that I wasn't able to boot my machine past the "Starting Windows" screen. I had to then reload Windows and everything else that I had. Now all is well. I'll never use that utility again. Thanks for all your help! :busy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users