Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Built Pc Boot Problems...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LostPC

LostPC

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:25 AM

I built a custom PC buying parts from Fry's Electronics. I plugged everything up and now the PC won't boot. At first nothing will happen at all. plugged everything up; stuck in the power cable; and pressed the on button...no go. Nothing lights up, no fans turn on, nothing. After rechecking all the wires and making sure everything was connected right I tried booting it again. This time it does boot, but only for a millisecond (note: it booted when I plugged the power cable in, not by pressing the on button on the front side of the computer). All the light flash on and the fans start to spin, but then it dies. It does this everytime I plug in the power cable or turn on the switch to the power supply. Pressing the on button on the front of the case does nothing.

Computer components:
Aspire Silent Case: ATX 420W Power Supply, 80mm Fan, 2x USB2.0, Firewire 1394 port, Front Temp Analog Gauge, 120mm Fan.

Mother Board: ECS P4 FSB 1066 Intel 945P, Form Factor ATX, Chipset Intel 945P&ICH7, VGA/Audio No/Yes, Modem/LAN No/Yes, PCI/PCI Ex1:3/1, PCI Ex16:2, DDR2x4 slots

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 Processor 511, 2.80GHz, 533 Mhz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, LGA775.

Graphics Card: Leadtek, Graphics by nVIDIA, WinFast PX6200 TC/TDH, GeForce 6200 with TurboCache, 64MB supporting up to 256MB, Bus PCI express.

Memory: 1 stick of 1GB of DDR2 RAM.

Hard Drive: 40GB off of old PC.

CD-Rom Drive: Memorex CD-Rom reader, 52x.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:46 PM

Just a quick suggestion... did you plug in the power button wire to the motherboard?

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:11 PM

Could be that you have a short, ie the motherboard or some-such touching the case shorting the thing out. You can try taking the motherboard out of the case and put it on a nonconductive surface - like the box it came in - and plug in the bare essentials and see if it starts.

Could also be something wrong with the PSU in which case you probably would have to get a new one.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 LostPC

LostPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:36 PM

-i plugged the 24pin power cable into the mother board from the power supply.

-i also plugged on/off buttons from the front of the case onto the mother board. this was the first thing i checked and rechecked over 10 times.

-everyting in the computer is plugged to something. no loose wires. except for the a drive which im not using and one 4 pin power cable.

-i might of have shorted something out. i wouldnt know.....and if so how would i be able to test this to know for sure? i.e. mother board, ram, etc...

-its not the power supply. i replaced it with another one from one of my other computers. still no go.

-ill try pluging everything up on a nonconducting surface and ill keep in mind the thing about the power surge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users