Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Batch remnaming

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 winchester_101

winchester_101

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

Group,

I take quite a few photos and I'd like to rename the files to make them easier to sort/find. When I import the pics from my digital camera, they're named dcimxxx or somesuch. I like to rename them to a logical file name, so I can sort them or view them later. Other than clicking on each file and renaming, is there a way to rename a group of files in a numeric order? For instance xxx001 to xxx009? Thanks for any input.

W101

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

Wouldn't that be the same for the file names that get imported? Or am I missing something here?

By this I mean:

dcimxx1 = xxx001
dcimxx2 = xxx002
dcimxx3 = xxx003

Edited by cryptodan, 27 May 2012 - 09:39 PM.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:59 PM

Take a look here: How to Batch Rename Files in Windows XP

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 winchester_101

winchester_101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:20 PM

Cryptodan,

Yes, it sorta is I guess. I just want to rename the files to a more logical system to make them easier to sort and find. Plus, some files are missing in the numeric sequence when I import them, due to erasing files on the camera before export.

Animal,

Thanks for the link, just tried it, it's broken?

Thanks

W101

Edited by winchester_101, 28 May 2012 - 01:21 PM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

Since Animal's link is broken right now, try this one: http://www.howtogeek.com/111859/how-to-batch-rename-files-in-windows-4-ways-to-rename-multiple-files/

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,531 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

That sucks, when I added the link it worked just fine. Nice example images and everything. Looks like the whole site is down as well. Hopefully it's just temporary.

Here is a copy from archive.org of that link: http://web.archive.org/web/20100209011934/http://www.mediacollege.com/computer/file/batch-rename/windows-xp.html

Thanks to Andrew for that.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#7 winchester_101

winchester_101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

Thanks guys!! Exactly what I was looking for!

W101

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,531 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

On behalf of Bleeping Computer, you're welcome. :thumbup2:

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users