Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

**Questions about cd/dvd drives

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 azyardies

azyardies

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

Hi, first I apologize for my dumb question, but I really dont know the answer.
I have a 6yr old HP laptop. It has a cd drive that plays and can record cds.
It plays DVDs (but is not the recording type for DVDs.

I am interested in transferring some of my movies from either my camcorder or VHS tapes onto
DVD standard discs for safe keeping and playback.
But can I do this on my laptop, knowin that I dont have a DVD burner?
Will simply downloading some software do the job?
Or Do I have to go buy either internal or external DVD player/recorder?

Please advise as I was looking at gadgets online such as the Dazzle, Easy cap, Roxio, for assisting in the trasfer.
But I havent seen it stated in their info that one requirement is to have a PC that burns dvd's.

Thanks in advance. Specs to follow:
Windows XP home edition, sp2. HP pavilion dv8000 laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

I would highly recommending updating to XP3, and then check for firmware upgrades to your DVD-ROM via http://www.hp.com

#3 azyardies

azyardies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

Hi Cryptodan,
The reasons for not going to sp3 is because of the problems, so I read once, from doing this update on my particular HP laptop.
Though I cant remember offhand what I read, I think it had something to do with it messing up my pc in many ways.

One good thing is that the update is already in my task bar as a windows update ready to install.
I just am afraid to do so and cause problems that I may not be able to handle. I know my Orig post has nothing to do with sp3,
What do you all think of this update?

And how would the firmware upgrades for my dvd-rom help? I have tried to get support from HP on other issues, and they weren't helpful at all;
maybe because my PC was out of warranty/too old?

I recently needed a hinge and they wouldn't even assist me in getting the part number. Luckily I got the part already but had to do some
research first.
Thanks

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

Updating the firmware can make it so that your dvd drive reads certain disks. Some disk drives have software limitations that inhibit them from reading certain media types like brands for burnable dvd's.

You can read up on how to install SP3 on your computer via HP's site. The support via hp.com is free.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

It plays DVDs (but is not the recording type for DVDs.

I am interested in transferring some of my movies from either my camcorder or VHS tapes onto
DVD standard discs for safe keeping and playback.

If you want to burn data to a DVD disk, you need a DVD burner, either internal or external.
A drive that only reads media will not work.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

Hi,
To transfer video you will need a capture device, Since you have a laptop it will have to be USB.
Then you need software to convert and author a DVD.
Then finally you need A DVD recorder (Burner) and Good Quality discs.

You might want to read this post of mine to another user.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic454345.html/page__view__findpost__p__2706157

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users