Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Your Computer Is Infected

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stixman55

stixman55

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:20 AM

When I get on my computer there is now a red ball with a white X on it. There is a message pops up and tells me that my computer is infected with spyware. I allready have a great spyware program and it tells me that I have no problem. I cant get this damn thing off my computer. How do I remove it. I know this is an advertisment gimmick but when I click to get more info NOTHING happens... Please help me before I use my computer as an anchor when I go fishing next time. :thumbsup: Please E-Mail me at stixman55XXXXXXXXXXXXX.com When doing so Please add the topic as DAMN RED X Thank You!

Thanks to ALL! I did find the cure. I downloaded EWIDO anti-malware (its free) and it fixed my problem.

(Moderator edit: E-mail address removed to foil spambots. jgweed)

Edited by stixman55, 28 February 2006 - 04:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:36 AM

You probably need to turn messenger service off.

Messenger (not to be confused with MSN Messenger, AOL IM or any other internet messenger you may want or use was originally created for system administrators and users on networks to communicate with each other and other users on large networks.

Spammers have figured out how to send spam with it taking advantage of exploits on your computer.

What you describes sounds like
Windows Messenger Spam

To block the spam is to turn off Messenger Service.
To do that:
--In Windows XP, click Start>>Control Panel
--In Windows 2000, click Start>>Settings>>Control Panel

In both versions:
--Double click Administrative Tools
--Double click Services
--Double click Messenger
--Under Service Status, click Stop
--In the box next to Startup Type, select Disabled
--Click Apply>>OK

Alternatively, you can download a small program that will disable Messenger Service called “Shoot The Messenger” which is available at http://www.grc.com/default.htm

Edited by Enthusiast, 28 February 2006 - 11:38 AM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:46 AM

In addition to turning off Messenger, you might want to use several anti-spyware applications, such as Ad-AwareSE or Spybot Search and Destroy; these tend to find a few things the other isn't looking for.
Run, also, your resident anti-virus and these in "Safe Mode." If these find nothing, then submit a HJT log to our team of volunteer experts who will help you get rid of the malware causing that popup. You can find the instructions for submission here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Please read and follow the directions carefully, then await a response from a team member; logs are taken on a first-posted, first-reviewed order, so please be patient since others may be ahead of you in the queue.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 01:12 PM

To me this sounds like a very typical smitfraud infection - you have quoted some of the bookmark features of the infection. If none of the above work, you should try to use the self-help guide to remove smitfraud which can be found here.
David

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:33 PM

To me this sounds like a very typical smitfraud infection

I concur. Smit fraud.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users