Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps restartin

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cowgirlup914

cowgirlup914

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

My son has a HP Compaq No 4200 Business Notebook. A couple of days ago it began restarting. I've tried the F8 key and F10 key, disabling the auto restart feature. It continues to restart over and over. I feel there may be a virus on there, but I can't get to Safe Mode to delete it. I've tried Last Good Configuration, Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, etc. nothing works.
I have a Windows XP Professional Edition CD, but it says it is only for one use. I used it on my PC.
Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

Do you know what happened prior to this issue arising?

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

I have a Windows XP Professional Edition CD, but it says it is only for one use. I used it on my PC.

Hi -
Is this a Genuine Microsoft CD, and did you get it with your other computer, or did you purchase it ? ?
Is it marked with Dell or H / P branding, as well as other writing, or is this a M/soft CD with the code numbers and Gold Hologram effects ? ?
Any other information / details will also help -

Thank You -

#4 cowgirlup914

cowgirlup914
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

I purchased the CD and yes it is a geniune Microsoft CD. I finally got an error message: unmountable_boot_volume. I tried using the CD on the external CD drive and it won't read it. I'm ready to trash the entire laptop!!!

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

That error message, usually means that either the hard drive has failed or the controller on the motherboard has failed.

Is the hard drive detectable in the BIOS? you can get there via F12 I believe on HP's.

Was this lap top dropped?

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:00 AM

Sorry to go back to this line, but you say that you have used it already on Your PC.

Apart from the question from cryptodan (please answer him), is there any reason as to why you think it should work on 2 PCs after your first statement ?

The CD "sounds like" an OEM CD designed for a certain Operating System. Is there any mention of a brand name on it at all (apart from M/soft) ?
If so, it may be only in small print, like the "only for one use" item on it, and you have used it -

Thank You, (and sorry for re-asking the same basic question) -

#7 cowgirlup914

cowgirlup914
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:02 PM

No, it wasn't dropped.
I have used the Windows XP CD on two different occasions.

#8 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

Here this sounds like your best option here.Just give the repair install a go. :) Yes with the cd that you have there will be no issue using that.
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

#9 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:30 PM

It might be worth running chkdsk /r from the Windows XP Pro Installation CD before attempting a repair install.

Running CHKDSK from the Windows CD.

Regards,
Brooks

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

<<I have a Windows XP Professional Edition CD, but it says it is only for one use.>>

Was this CD issued by HP?

Please quote all printing on the CD...thank you.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users