Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Emachines T6410

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 aguineapig

aguineapig

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

Hello, I would like to say thanks in advance for the help this forum has given in the past. I have been having trouble with this computer for about 2 months, and it is generally unusable. It started a few month back by seizing up (no blue screen, it didn't reboot, etc) and usually had the green stripey screen of a video card issue (?). When it seized up we just shut it off manually and if it rebooted at all it would usually not make it to windows before "seizing up" again. Most of the time the monitor would not get a signal and it would just flash the "monitor working" graphic. The only time I could get it to boot was by cleaning the computer out, unplugging various plugs and cards, cleaning them and putting them back in. I also tried a new video card which fixed the green stripes but did not fix the problem of the seize up (it would seize up, but without the green stripes).
Not sure what else to describe the situation, if anyone has any experience with this situation help would be very greatly appreciated. I can *try* to answer any other questions pertaining to the computer, though I am not particularly tech savvy. Thanks everyone.

Edited by hamluis, 27 May 2012 - 01:08 PM.
Moved from XP to Intrernal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

It sounds to me like you may have a bad capacitor or two on the motherboard. Failed capacitors may show one or more of these visible symptoms:

Bulging or cracking of the vent on top of the capacitor.
Capacitor casing sitting crooked on the circuit board, as the bottom rubber plug is pushed out
Electrolyte leaked onto the motherboard from the base of the capacitor or vented from the top, visible as crusty rust-like brown deposits.
Detached or missing capacitor casing. Sometimes a failed capacitor will literally explode, ejecting its contents violently and shooting the casing off the circuit board.

Here are some functionality symptoms and issues your system might display if your capacitors are failing. Please note that these symptoms can occur even if your capacitors are not showing the physical signs. This is a rare occurrence, but it does happen. Most of the time, there will be physical signs of failure.

Motherboard fails to POST.
Memory Test Fails.
System randomly and/or constantly reboots itself.
Fails to fully boot (or even install) Operating System.
System randomly and frequently freezes.
Random & frequent 'Blue Screens of Death'
BSoD or hard freeze under heavy drive activity (Either RAID, SCSI, or standard ATA)
CPU temps abnormally higher than usual under typical or less load.
*CPU VCORE & other system voltages are erratic or far out of tolerances.
Resetting the system after a freeze and the system will not repost.
(You have to completely power down then power back up.)
*CPU VCORE & System voltage issues can also be associated with a faulty power supply. Before you decide your caps are bad, ALWAYS try a known good and high quality power supply.

My recommendation is to take a good hard look at the capacitors surrounding the following components

Processor
Memory
Graphics card

If no signs of leaking or budging are evident then i would try a different power supply as this sounds like a voltage problem to me.

Let me know what you find out and I'll try and help further.

Larry D. Lawrence II
MCSE, MCP,ACMT, ACTC
Dell, HP, Toshiba, Apple, Lenovo, and IBM Certified Technician

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users