Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

STUCK at "Perparing to configure windows"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 qzx

qzx

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:31 PM

I'm stuck at the preparing to configure windows screen on startup. I've already tried renaming the software distribution folder and deleteing the two files in winsxs, but the message persists.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JColt

JColt

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/preparing-to-configure-windows/957ef14f-7c78-47f8-a079-b66eeff01a09

#3 qzx

qzx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

Thanks, but none of the restore points work and you can not access windows update in safe mode.

#4 qzx

qzx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

I also tried to remove services but this didn't work either. It even does the "preparing to configure windows" number for safe mode w/ networking, but at least in safe mode it bypasses after a few seconds.

#5 JColt

JColt

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:37 PM

Click on link below and you will be able to uninstall your last windows updates.

download and install
http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/tips/jsi-tip-9233-safemsi-exe-freeware-starts-windows-installer-in-safe-mode-

Go to control panel, system and security, where it says windows update select "view installed updates"

Select any updates that were installed the day pc stopped working and uninstall.

When you reinstall updates do one at a time. When you find which one is causing problems, Checkmark it not to show.

Edited by JColt, 27 May 2012 - 06:39 PM.

#6 qzx

qzx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:22 PM

It just says "an error has occured, the selected update could not be uninstalled" or something very similar. (for any update)

Edited by qzx, 27 May 2012 - 09:22 PM.

#7 qzx

qzx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

Solved ... sort of

Ok, so I restared again in safe mode after installing and was able to remove updates. Then I restarted normally and it still came to that screen. I restarted again in safe mode and it said reverting changes, so I instantly clicked restart again and it "worked." It took a long time to come up and is rather sluggish for some reason. Maybe that will go away, we'll see. Anyway, thanks very much!!!

#8 JColt

JColt

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

Probably your best bet would be to back up files and reinstall now that you can access.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users