Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All antivirus software freezes computer

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 alannaaf

alannaaf

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

Hello,

I can't seem to get any antivirus/antimalware software to run on my computer (running Vista Home Premium). I have relied on Mcafee security center for years without incident, but recently it has started to freeze my computer every time it hits 4% of a full scan. I uninstalled from the add/remove program tool in the control panel. Reinstalled and it didn't work. Uninstalled again, used the Mcafee product removal tool, reinstalled, and still had same problem. Removed Mcafee again, tried to install Ad-aware. It said it was successfully installed, but it was no where to be found (start menu, program files, etc). Installed Malwarebytes, it won't run a full scan. Got it to run a quick scan, it found 3 items, which I deleted. Restart system, tried full scan, computer froze again. Installed Spybot S&D, computer froze during scan. I've always been good at computer fixes in the past (though I'm certainly no expert). I feel like there must be a virus, but I'm not sure. Of note, I was having different computer freezing problems 4 months ago, some research lead me to think it was either a corrupt operating system file or that my HD was dying. I reformated the HD and reinstalled the OS and everything was fine. I have run checks on the HD and other hardware components and they all pass (the system is approx 4 years old). With no way to scan for threats, I am at a loss. I do have Hijack this reports to attach if that helps.) Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

April

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users