Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Qas

Qas

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:03 AM

Hello I am new here I am going to ask a question please do not laugh at it as I have no knowledge at computers 

I brought a new computer from PC World and 6 months later it turned out to be faulty they were not able to repair it so I was given a replacement.
The difference is my old PC had an Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.2 GHz and my new one has an Intel Dual Core processor @2.8 what is better?
I feel as they no I do not no much about computers they ripped my off. If someone could also please tell me the difference between them. I am going to use the computer from burning home movies on a DVD. Compressing files using a program that my gave me. And my son uses the computer for heavy gaming use. I think he said to me he plays Counter Strike I think and half like please, please help me.

Also one other thing overall what PC is better:

My Old Computer:
http://www.pcservicecall.co.uk/layout.aspx...e-855abca91a38}

My New Computer
http://www.pcservicecall.co.uk/layout.aspx...8-1e9b19df72d8}

I Appreciate all help thank you very much and I like to say thank for using your time to help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:38 AM

seriously, the new computer is a massive improvement.

better processsor P$(junk) to P Dual ( two processors)

Radeon 9550 to Radeon X600

you werenot ripped off.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:25 PM

thanks for your help what do you mean by "better processsor P$(junk) to P Dual ( two processors)" it has two processors :thumbsup:. IF it does it still be slower then the P4 wouldnt it ?
Others please helpppp thankkk youuuuuuu

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:12 AM

Here is Intel's take on the Dual Core Technology...

http://www.intel.com/business/bss/products...r/dual-core.htm
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:06 PM

WOW......
I AM LOST FOR WORDS is it that powerfull?

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:18 PM

I just read. I am back in 1999 with a P-III 500. :thumbsup:

#7 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:43 PM

I just read. I am back in 1999 with a P-III 500. :thumbsup:

Aklan my man when ya gonna get offf yer duff and build that new system. I know ya have more than enuff knowledge an skills to do the job. Tiger direct has been running some pretty good barebones deals here lately so common an get up ta date. Lol

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:58 PM

I just built a 3.0/2gb.3-80gig,1-120gig system for my wifes boss. He records 16 cameras via HD.
I just like the old stuff. It is fun for me. Have 12 Dell GX1, two HP severs, and a Compaq dual P-III 550/1gig work station.

#9 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:58 PM

LOL and I thought I was bad about playing with old junk [ cough ;cough] I mean antiquated equipment :thumbsup:

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:09 PM

know the feeling acklan except im even further back in time im finishing the Pentium1 as I speak. And Im replacing my Pentium3 with a (slower but better) AMD Athlon K6.

Dual Core is better than P4

Posted Image

#11 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 02:30 AM

Actually, a better single-core might have been a better choice for gaming, at least now. I'm not a very big fan of the Pentium D processors and until more apps are coded for dual-core, I won't really be impressed much. That's a pretty good rig, it should definitely handle the gaming. I really think that mobo looks pretty low quality, but if it isn't giving you any trouble it doesn't really matter what I think.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#12 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 09:13 PM

I haven't played with any dual-core processors, but I'm not terribly impressed. Seems as though there isn't much software written that can take advantage of the dual core. For most people, a fast single-core processor would be a better choice, IMHO. You can do more multitasking with dual-core, but most people wouldn't do two specifically different things at the same time. For instance, you wouldn't be running an antivirus scan while burning a DVD. Until they find a way to actually utilize both cores, and operating systems take full advantage of dual-core technology, it's not as great as sliced bread.

#13 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 06:57 AM

I haven't played with any dual-core processors, but I'm not terribly impressed. Seems as though there isn't much software written that can take advantage of the dual core. For most people, a fast single-core processor would be a better choice, IMHO. You can do more multitasking with dual-core, but most people wouldn't do two specifically different things at the same time. For instance, you wouldn't be running an antivirus scan while burning a DVD. Until they find a way to actually utilize both cores, and operating systems take full advantage of dual-core technology, it's not as great as sliced bread.

So what programs arw written for Dual Core??

#14 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:52 AM

Adobe Photoshop will utilize dual core/multi processors/hyper threading. Not sure how 1 program can use 2 processors at once when it can only do 1 thing at a time, but they say that it will.......

Phase one (camera capture software)
Corel draw
Some games say they'll utilize P4's "hyperthreading ability", but I'm not so sure about that.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#15 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 12:19 PM

So my processor now is it better my old one ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users