Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer 9400 Broken Power Jack/ Remove Solder

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rp144

rp144

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

I have Acer Aspire 9400 broken powerjack. I m going to solder a new one to it. MY problem is that there is berely no solder on there i see. I see is some yellow looking glue ? what is this and how do i remove it? I thought it would just melt with the solder when i first tried soldering it but now its mixed with the copper braid, solder, and the metal jack on the board and wont come off? what can I do to remove this stuff ?

and as far as soldering, is it okay if the board turn black? I dont think I fried it or anything but its black and i smelled some plastic burn so idk? Im just having trouble getting the yellow looking glue off bc i hardly see andy solder on there to get it off

Attached Files

• Attached File  pj1.jpg   321.13KB   6 downloads
  • Attached File  pj2.jpg   95.71KB   6 downloads

Edited by rp144, 26 May 2012 - 02:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

What I am seeing flux. Flux helps the solder adhere to thecopper of the circuit trace. If you would like to completely remove it beforereordering the jack there is a product available called flux remover(64-3324)from your local radio shack. In my experience I have not worried about removingthe flux until I get the board completely finished, then a light spray of theflux remover and a brisk rub with a plastic bristle brush is all that is neededfor cleanup. As far as removing the jack I Highly recommend desolder braid asit removes the old solder. As for you the burning smell you are describing ismore than likely the plastic from the broken jack. using the solder braid willkeep that from happening. Regarding turning the board black this should not happenif you are using a pencil type soldering iron for this job. the old flux will discolorbut the board it's self should not turn "black" * please ensure youonly use rosin core solder and NOT acid core.

Edited by Larry D. Lawrence II, 29 May 2012 - 04:40 PM.

Larry D. Lawrence II
MCSE, MCP,ACMT, ACTC
Dell, HP, Toshiba, Apple, Lenovo, and IBM Certified Technician

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:23 PM

Larry D. Lawrence II is spot on.

As an alternative to the Radio Shack cleaner, I use Isopropyl alcohol 90+% and a old toothbrush to clean flux.
It may help to clean the flux so you can see what you are doing.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users