Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

edit an AVI video??

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 judyjht

judyjht

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:25 AM

I have an AVI video that is about 20 minutes long but I only was to save about 6 minutes of it. Is there a way to edit (shorten it)??

I was trying to send it to someone but is taking FOREVER to download. Anyone know how I can do it??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

One program that a lot of users have on their computer---QuickTime---can be used to do what you want.
Here is a brief howto: How to Edit an AVI File | eHow.com

There are other programs for doing this. You just have to be careful where you get them from
to avoid malware. If you would like another suggested program, post back.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 judyjht

judyjht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:18 PM

Thanks Buddy215 but.............I cannot see:

Use the half-arrow markers on the timeline to mark your "in" and "out" points for the section you want to keep. (Everything between your marks will be highlighted.)

Not sure what to do now - sorry to be so stupid but........oh well! :dance:

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,302 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

My bad......I missed this: Only excuse...comments are almost invisible...grayed out

Comments
  • Alex Aug 14, 2011 agree, completely useless.
  • Rob May 28, 2011 This post is worthless. You need to have Quicktime Pro to do this, and that is not a free program.

Looking for a free program...saw a few not free..
I or someone else will recommend another.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,302 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

Two choices:
Video Tools - Edit your video files for free (Virtual Dub)
Download here: VirtualDub-1.9.11.zip

Free video editor, free movie editor, AVI editor / AVI Trimmer + MKV

I have not used either of those. Be nice if someone reading this has experience
with either would respond. Or would care to recommend another editor.

#6 judyjht

judyjht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

Someone said I could use Windows Movie Maker - anyone know anything about it or how to do it??

I have XP Professional

Edited by judyjht, 26 May 2012 - 06:59 PM.

#7 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:55 AM

I've heard good things about Machete Lite, but never used it.

http://www.machetesoft.com/home/about-machete-video-editor-lite.html

VirtualDub will cut AVI's, but the end file might actually be bigger than the original.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Virtualdub

DIVX???

http://www.videohelp.com/oldguides/virtualdubedit

Avidemux might also work for you, seeing that you are running XP.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AviDemux

You might be able to convert the AVI to MPEG-4, or FLV to make the AVI smaller, and speed up download speeds.
WMM should be able to create a WMV that will be smaller, but with a loss of quality.

Edited by 12x48y, 27 May 2012 - 05:07 AM.

#8 judyjht

judyjht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:56 AM

OK so I cropped it down to where I want it and it ends up being 97,613KB so it is still too big to email - I tried to send it using Send This File which sends large files for you but it finally finished downloading and the video is at high speed!! What the ............heck?? All I want to do is send this 5 minute video of a black bear sneaking across the woods to get some apples that we left out for the deer!

Any thoughts as to why it speeds up. I still have the cropped version at normal speed - so how can I email it the way it is (97,613KB)?? :angry: This is really frustrating!

Edited by judyjht, 28 May 2012 - 07:56 AM.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

This will work to split it into smaller pieces. Send a copy of HJSplit and have them reassemble it at the other end.

http://www.hjsplit.org/

Why should one want to split and recombine files? For instance, think of a file of 50 Mb, and try to send it to a friend, post it in a newsgroup or upload it to a Website or FTP server. It is usually easier to send/receive, upload/download smaller parts than handle the entire file in one go.

You will have to make the pieces small enough to go through email.

Hope this helps.
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 29 May 2012 - 11:40 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 judyjht

judyjht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:47 AM

Who knew life would be so difficult!!! It would sort of lose the effect to split them in half. Thanks anyway - the family will just have to wait till I get there to show it to them. Seems like this should be much easier that this - oh well. :angry:

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

You missed the point.

You are not splitting it in half.

What you are doing is making pieces small enough to email. Then at the other end they put them back together into the same file as you started out with.

Once they are put back together your file and their file are bit for bit the same.

To put it another way, if you start with a 10 minute video, once it has been put back together they have the same 10 minute video. But now it was able to be emailed.

I hope I have clarified it for you.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#12 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

Good advise Rotor. :)

@Judyjht.

Thinking out of the box here.
Instead of emailing the video, why not use Dropbox.
You (maybe) could then upload the entire video.
You get 2 GB to start. And it's free.

We're starting to trade (legal) music using Dropbox. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/

https://www.dropbox.com/help

Just curious, what program did you end up using to "crop" the video?
Did you crop the video (remove part of the image area) or did you cut it? (remove frames)
Or did you convert it?

Edited by 12x48y, 30 May 2012 - 07:44 AM.

#13 judyjht

judyjht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:56 AM

Well, I ended up finding this one:

SolveigMM AVI Trimmer + MKV is a free video editor for fast and lossless AVI and MKV editing. This freeware AVI editor is small, smart, easy to use and involves no encoding/decoding processes. No video / audio degradation and out of sync problem arises after editing. All AVI and MKV file types of any size and video / audio content are supported.

I wanted to delete the first 2 minutes and the last 20 minutes since there was nothing on it of any importance. I ended up with 5 minutes of the key video of the bear - I then uploaded it to youtube - it took me 3 damn days to figure this out but it finally worked! Here is the link in case you are interested:

http://youtu.be/vqo94SnrPl0

The first few times I cropped the video with different programs - then end video ended up at full speed - it looked like the bear was running through the woods - no idea why but I kept trying. YouTube was no easy thing either - the video was too big and I had to figure out how to compress it. Phew.........that is over with

Thanks everyone for the advice!!

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:00 PM

Excellent work! :clapping: You've done well.

Edit: I enjoyed the video.

Edited by AustrAlien, 30 May 2012 - 05:00 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#15 judyjht

judyjht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

Coming from you, I will take the kind words!!! Hope all is well with you?? :crazy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users