Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Absinthe 2.0 Now Available For iOS 5.1.1 Devices

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

The latest jailbreak tool marks the first time the third generation iPad could undergo an untethered jailbreak, released on the same day as the Hack in the Box (HTB) conference in Amsterdam. The team unveiled the utility on the final day of the conference in the last few minutes.

International Business Times

More......

Absinthe 2.0 Jailbreak Is What's Wrong with iOS

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

Hmm... not entirely sure I agree with this. The assumption is that Apple keeps malicious software out of their walled garden; but that's not really true. They're certainly not doing code reviews on everything that goes into the store.

As the article says

Storms says, “The real security risk is the false sense of security users get from vendor approved app stores. These stores create a false sense of safety so users drop their guard. Losing a healthy sense of paranoia is the first step to being phished.”

Billy3

Edited by Billy O'Neal, 26 May 2012 - 02:52 PM.

Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

Doesn't that quote apply to all apple devices, look at os x and the recent malware attack, people get lured into this false sense of security which apple feeds on (not so much now but did) to drive devices and computers into the consumers hands. I have been jailbreaking since the ipod touch 2nd gen came out, back then jailbreaks for new versions of the os came out within a week of the os release, now it takes around a month, this just shows how jailbreaking actually adds to device security. For a while when jailbreakme the first edition came out which used the pdf exploit to run code, the people that were jailbroken were actually safer as we had a patch that we could install. The best part about those jailbreaks is that apple actually recruited comex (author of the jailbreak) to work for them.

Also to add to what billy3 said, there have been a few close calls when it comes to app store apps, there have been apps approved and released on the app store that have turned out to be malicious, just need to be careful.

Oh and congrats to you billy3 on the graduation :).

Edited by computerxpds, 26 May 2012 - 06:04 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

What does it mean to "JailBreak" a device?
Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

#5 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:50 AM

Basically; iOS puts programs inside of a "jail", which limits what they're able to do to the machine. (For instance, this is what makes it such that applications can't modify things like the icons on your homescreen, or things like that) Jailbreaking the device is breaking out of this jail, e.g. to install software not approved by Apple.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#6 Sani-T-Capt1

Sani-T-Capt1

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

Thanks firemaster, I always wanted to know what that term meant :thumbup2:
Either We Learn to Live Together as People, Or Die Apart as Fools !

Ignorance ISN'T Bliss, It's Just "IGNORANCE"!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users