Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help with BSOD Errors in Windows!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sagehillspilot

Sagehillspilot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

I got a laptop from a customer today, a Sony Vaio VGN NS420E. i the harddrive was dead. i installed a harddrive that was the exact same however it has wondows Xp. it wont accept any re installation disks, recovery disks, instead i get the BSOD or an error saying i have an error 0xc00000xp I/0 Error. and it will attempt to install xp, but gives this error on all harddrives i try and all disks i put in.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

Generally speaking...you cannot install an O/S on a hard drive from a different system...in any laptop.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

The drivers and settings are completely different.

A clean install with the proper media and license...would be my suggestion, since any restore partition opportunities seem to be lost.

Louis

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

I can't be 100% sure what you are doing or trying to do, but I think you are having a problem because the HDD you are attempting to use already has Windows installed on it. You may need to wipe the HDD clean (with something like dban or killdisk) before you are able to boot successfully with a Windows installation disk and perform a clean installation of Windows on it.

If you wish to do a clean install of Windows ...

Download dban (Darik's Boot and Nuke):

"Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN") is a self-contained boot disk that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction."

If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
    Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

Boot from the CD, and with ONLY the one hard drive connected to the system ...
Warning: This will completely wipe ALL drives connected to the system!
Type autonuke at the prompt and press the <ENTER> key.
Allow to complete.
Be patient: It may take some considerable time, depending on the size of the HDD.

Edited by AustrAlien, 29 May 2012 - 04:49 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users