Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Think I Deleted My System...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wishiknew

wishiknew

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:21 AM

Hi guys I'm new to bleepingcomputer and whats a better way to introduce myself with a great question.

This is the main problem my computer will start windows but it will only show the desktop picture i have set up. No icons show up just the background picture not even my trusty toolbar. I can only reset it with the power button or by good ol' CTRL ALT DEL and logging off.

Now here is were i think i messed up my system. So I tried deleting some spyware with this vundofix thing on safe mode and i typed up the regular things when it had asked me to do so.

for the first file path i typed this
C:\WINDOWS\system32\jkhhh.dll

and when it had asked me to type out the second i got to about this far and i hit the enter key
C:\WINDOWS\system32

i meant to hit the \ key but instead i hit enter. i knew as soon as i hit enter i messed up my registry. i am just wondering if there is a way i can reinstall my now missing files (i don't even know if they are deleted or not). i can really use any help i can get i would truly appreaciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:31 AM

Try to use System Restore
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 wishiknew

wishiknew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:35 AM

i can't use system restore because i disabled it awhile back. i forgot to put it on and i don't know of any other way than that.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:38 AM

I am not sure it will work for this, but try Start>Run>cmd>sfc /scannow from Safe Mode.

#5 wishiknew

wishiknew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:41 AM

i can't use the start button because the only thing that shows up is just my desktop picture. no icons no trash bin nothing but the background picture.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:43 AM

Try pressing the windows key (between Ctrl & Alt) and the R at the same time.

#7 wishiknew

wishiknew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:58 AM

just tried it and it didn't work.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:50 AM

Your "desktop picture" that you replaced the manufacturer's splash screen with?

Do you have your Windows installation disk or your computer manufacturer's restore system disk?

(Some systems have a restore partition hidden before the C partition you can access from the bios screen)

In any case - it sounds like system reinstall time.

Edited by Enthusiast, 28 February 2006 - 11:51 AM.

#9 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 01:18 PM

It looks like your explorer doesn't load. No way you deleted your C:\Windows\system32-folder, otherwise you would not even be able to start up your system. :thumbsup:
I guess you are using Taskmanager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) to open Internet explorer (new task > iexplore.exe ) and to browse through your files?
Well, in taskmanager, choose new task and type explorer.exe
Let me know if that loads your explorer. If it doesn't,

Could be that the shell got corrupted, or another malware related file got deleted which was loaded as a debugger under the Image File Execution Option\explorer-key which is no standard anyway.

Using CTRL-ALT-DEL, open taskmanager, type in new task: notepad.exe
Notepad will open.

copy and paste next bold from the quotebox in it:
(don't forget to copy and paste REGEDIT4)

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"Shell"="Explorer.exe"

Save this as fix.reg Choose to save as *all files and place it on your desktop.
It should look like this: Posted Image
Doubleclick on it and when it asks you if you want to merge the contents to the registry, click yes/ok.

Reboot and let me know if this solved the problem.
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users