Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Delete SpybotSD.exe file

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Folfer88

Folfer88

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

Alright,

So I've spent the night trying to download Spybot so I can utilize its startup tool BC recommends. However apparently this computer (was originally my wife's) at one point had the program installed. We have had several virus issues with this computer in the past. Anyway, I tried installing the program and couldn't install due to SpybotSD.exe being locked. It would error during installation. I tried ignoring it and installing but would receive this error when starting program

"Unable to execute file"

it would list the root for the SD.exe file, and then

"CreateProcess failed; code 5"
"Access is denied."

I have tried just about everything I can find to delete this file. I tried manually. When that didn't work I went to safe mode and tried. When that failed I tried using command prompts (I'm unfamiliar with DOS and I couldn't get it to work). I also tried dl'ing the different stubborn removal tools BC suggests. I tried searching the code 5 error I received on BC forums to see if I could get any help, but it was all specific to particular users. So here I am.

BC Forums have always been a great help with issues we've had before. Thanks for your time...and please help!!!

Thanks
Folfer88

Edited by hamluis, 25 May 2012 - 08:30 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,425 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

Bad news, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/SD.exe-14820.html .

Moving your topic to Am I Infected forum...the folks there will guide you:).

Louis

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,419 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

Your title says SpybotSD.exe.
If that is the file you cannot delete then there is a solution at the Spybot forum.
Cannot delete spybotsd.exe file! - Page 2 - Safer-Networking Forums
The solution is in this post....11
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Folfer88

Folfer88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

Yes SpybotSD.exe is the file I can't remove. However I don't think that solution is going to work for me because I can't actually see the file. I go to the folder and it is blank. I have viewing hidden files enabled, and tried multiple times to turn it on an off for the folder. So I don't think I can use that solution since I can't actually drag and drop the file in...unless you can help me see the file.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,419 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

Spybot Seach and Destroy folder located in C:/program files.....drag and drop the entire Spybot folder into the inherit.exe file.

Where did you see the recommendation for using Spybot's startup tool?
It could be old and outdated recommendation. Spybot has lost its favored status
as a recommended program here. Much better programs today than Spybot.

Edited by buddy215, 26 May 2012 - 08:39 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Folfer88

Folfer88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

It was in the "Slow Computer Checklist". It is under step 4. Is there a better tool to use?

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,419 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

AutoRuns for Windows

.....This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of auto-starting locations of any startup monitor, shows you what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and shows you the entries in the order Windows processes them. These programs include ones in your startup folder, Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys........

.....To disable an auto-start entry uncheck its check box. To delete an auto-start configuration entry use the Delete menu item or toolbar button.Select entries in the User menu to view auto-starting images for different user accounts.

More information on display options and additional information is available in the on-line help.

#8 Folfer88

Folfer88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

Thanks,

I had to go to safe mode, but I got rid of the Spybot folder and I used AutoRun to do what I needed.

Thanks for the help
Folfer88

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users