Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop sitting at "Welcome" when trying to log in

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AndyinAtl

AndyinAtl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

This my son's computer:

Toshiba Satellite L455D-S5976
Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
AMD Sempron SI-42
2GB DDR2 ram, 250gb hdd

Son complained earlier that the computer has been running slowly lately. I took a look at it originally and found that AVG was out of date -- seemed to have problems initializing. After having no luck getting it to initialize and/or update, I removed and reinstalled it. That seemed to work. Then had problems with system seemingly hanging or running slowly (unable to distinguish). After multiple attempts, I was able to get Task Manager to run -- nothing out of the ordinary that I could see. Getting nowhere I cycled power and brought it up in Safe Mode (Network Support). Everything ran fine there, so I downloaded/installed CCleaner and ran thru it's default selections of stuff. Booted normally but still experienced hang problems. Re-ran CCleaner and started turning off services that appeared non-standard (myriad of updaters, non-MS or AVG stuff). Now seems to be worse.

System is running extremely slow. Appeared to be hung when I started this post but it does appear now to be progressing, albeit like molasses. I've gotten past the "Welcome" screen and eventually have a bottom icon bar. But as I write this I have an hourglass icon and no desktop icons yet.

At this point I'm at a loss what to do. Earlier it booted Safe Mode both with and w/o network support. Before beginning this post I tried booting Safe Mode w/Network and, for some reason after loading the drivers (and a long delay) it rebooted on it's own.

Among other installed software:
- uTorrent
- Spotify
- ITunes

Any assistance is appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

Hello, I would recomend after we get this going that you first uninstall uTorrent. A download or a few,is most likely responsible for the infections you have.

Please download the Avira AntiVir Rescue System .

Place a blank CD in your burner and double-click on the rescue system package (rescuecd.exe) to burn it to a CD/DVD which you can then use to boot your computer and run a scan. For detailed instructions, refer to the Tutorial for Avira Rescue CD. If you encounter problems running Avira AntiVir Rescue System, you can get further assistance at the Avira Tools Support Forum.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users