The plastic key inside the data connector had broken loose. I still had the piece and the metal pins were OK.
I carefully placed the plastic back in place, plugged in the cable, tested and the drive was working so I used Epoxy to secure the data cable to the drive as a permanent fix.
Hot melt glue was not solid enough and the cable could move.
I also did this on another drive for the power connector. For that one I used a Molex 4 pin to SATA power adapter cable.
It is my impression that these SATA connectors are not as sturdy as the older IDE connectors.
Hopefully this will help someone down the road.
Roger (The frugal)
Edited by rotor123, 25 May 2012 - 01:14 PM.