Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SATA Hard drive connectors

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

Attached File  DSC00875.JPG   80.06KB   1 downloads

The plastic key inside the data connector had broken loose. I still had the piece and the metal pins were OK.
I carefully placed the plastic back in place, plugged in the cable, tested and the drive was working so I used Epoxy to secure the data cable to the drive as a permanent fix.

Hot melt glue was not solid enough and the cable could move.

I also did this on another drive for the power connector. For that one I used a Molex 4 pin to SATA power adapter cable.

It is my impression that these SATA connectors are not as sturdy as the older IDE connectors.

Hopefully this will help someone down the road.

Roger (The frugal) :)

Edited by rotor123, 25 May 2012 - 01:14 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

FWIW:

There are varying types of SATA cables.

Some have the locking mechanisms (which are more secure), while many that may be dated...tend to be loose on the motherboard/drive connectors.

Some without locking mechanisms...achieve a solid, tight connection without such.

I have a handful of these cables and I find that it's just easy enough to find one which does the job properly. If you don't have more than one cable...that's a disadvantage, IMO.

I would never employ a semi-permanent solution on connectors which are designed to be removeable.

Louis

#3 rotor123

rotor123
  • Topic Starter

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

Unfortunately on that drive the little lip the locking mechanism latches too was broken at the same time the plastic was broken, hence the Epoxy. While I was at it I also reattached the broken handle on a pair of scissors.

I find that the epoxy works better than hot melt glue as long as you are sure you won't have to remove it again.

Hope you have a Good memorial Day weekend
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

My apologies, Roger...I didn't comprehend properly...what I was reading :). I see now that you are talking about the connector, not cables...I'll try to be alert (but I make no promises) :).

Louis

#5 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:06 AM

It's better to change that connector rather than do that for safety of your data, :whistle:
It's will make more damage on your Hardrive in future :P

FYI, do you know that it's only need 10 minutes to change it, 7 minute for heating solder, 2 minutes for unscrew and screw PCB, 1 minutes for change that connector, but the time could more depends on the person that do that :workout:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#6 rotor123

rotor123
  • Topic Starter

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

That would work too, if I had the connector assembly.

There was nothing on the drive I care about, I just want to be able to use it in the future when I need it. It isn't that old so this works for me. The drive tests OK.

Edited by rotor123, 26 May 2012 - 10:34 AM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users