Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malicious code found in Master Boot Record

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cokiju

cokiju

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:07 PM

Hello, and thank you so much in advance for your willingness to help!

My computer has been having a difficult time - I often get blue screens and crash dumps when I start it, and because I have no idea how to fix it, I just restart it until it works. Today it would not start in regular mode until I used the F8 key and used the option that said "restart from last sucessful configuration". So now I am afraid to turn it off!

Is this fixable or do I just need a new computer?

I have an error message that reads "F-Secure Anti-Virus" "Malicious code found in Master Boot Record of disk MBR (0x80). Infection: Trojan:Boot/TDSS.gen!A" I typed this into the Bing Search engine, and it led me to this post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic406639.html. However, reading through that thread, the user was not having any other problems and his computer was running well, which is not the case with me.

Per your problem-posting instructions, I am using Windows Vista Home Premium, and having no other problems once the system is up and running. My internet is fast, and all programs run as they should.

Thank you once again for your time and expertise!

-Kari

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

Please follow Steps 6-10 of Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html .

There is a link in the Guide which will take you to the correct forum for posting the requested logs.

Thanks for your cooperation :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users