Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Facebook

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

Howdy,

Is there a way to tell if one of your friends is online while on facebook ?

I googled the question and most people said no. Others said yes. Some said that if you click chat and your friends name shows than they are online. Others said that is not correct.

Does anyone here know of a way ? Or is it just not possible to know if someone is currently on the site while I am.. ?

Thanks for any help !

Dennis :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

Is there a way to tell if one of your friends is online while on facebook ?

While logged in to your FB account, you will be able to see who's online usually indicated by a green dot. If you choose to Go offline then you are either invisible or not able to view who is off/online.

Tekken

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Where is the green dot located ?

I know that there is one next to where it says chat but I was told that is not an indicator that the person is online. I was told that it only meant that the person has chat enabled but does not mean they are online.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

Unless somebody enables chat and goes online you cannot tell if they are online in facebook. By the same token you need to have chat enabled as well. The only way to know without using the chat indicator is if you see them update in real time. Then you can be assured they are online.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

As usual, I am still confused Animal.

The person I am talking about has chat enabled as I do so the green dot is always lit up whether they are online or not.. From what I have read the my space site works differently. In other words if the chat indicator is not lit than the person is not online, if lit the person is online.

I hope I am being clear. ????

Again from what I have read just because the persons chat light is green on facebook is not an indication that the person is online.

Thanks for your reply

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

If they have their smartphone logged in or don't log out of facebook completely. That may be why you 'see' them. They may use their facebbok login for other accounts and that may show them still online. Many social services allow you to use your twitter or facebook account credentials. So you may not be on 'facebook' per se but instead be on Pintrest or Instagram or Read Me Later/aka Pocket or who knows what other service or app and it shows you on facebook to others.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#7 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

I am still not getting it. Sorry :wacko:

I will try to be more clear.

How can you tell if a person is on facebook other than if they are posting in real time ?

In other words we are able to tell who is online here on Bleeping Computer by scrolling to the bottom and looking for a particular name or it is lit green next to their name.

From what I understand the green light lit next to chat on facebook means nothing when it come to knowing if that person is actually on the site at that time.

Dennis

Edited by Dennis H, 25 May 2012 - 06:46 PM.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

Unless somebody enables chat and goes online you cannot tell if they are online in facebook.

I should have added, and they actually talk to you. You can't know for sure if the other person is actually online.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#9 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

Thanks Animal. I got it now.

So unless they are active there is no other way to know if they are actually online or not.

Thanks again for your help.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

If you click any friends from your contacts to start a conversation, whether it has a green dot or not, FB will notify you on top of the message box that he/she is offline/online.

Tekken

#11 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

I just went to this persons timeline and clicked on message and I do not see any indication that this person is online.

I am not sure what you mean by contacts. This person and I are listed as close friends.

I did not click on chat but on message.

Thanks !

PS: I think I am beginning to seem like a stalker or something ! Yikes !

Edited by Dennis H, 25 May 2012 - 08:55 PM.

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

You're quite welcome. :thumbup2:

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:14 PM

You will get used to using FB as primarily for me is searching high school and college batchmates who have migrated.

Tekken

#14 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:59 AM

If you click any friends from your contacts to start a conversation, whether it has a green dot or not, FB will notify you on top of the message box that he/she is offline/online.

I finally figured out what you were saying. I was not clicking on the right area.

I noticed one thing about the chat feature, it does not work very well.

It worked once last night but today when I click on it it just says loading but it never loads.

Anyway, thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users