Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Backup Cd

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brillo

brillo

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:13 AM

Hi again,

Simple question, I think..... New Inspiron 6000 arrived 3 weeks ago directly from Dell, no OS CD was included, it is XP MCE, by the way. Is this how they do things now or should I get on the phone and try to convince the Dell meisters that they forgot the bleeping CD when they packed the box?

Assuming this wasn't an oversight, i.e., that Dell doesn't give OS CDs out to just ANYBODY any more, I'd like to make one, or burn one, is that the term? (Really haven't learned computer terms very well, sad I know) How do I do that? I think I could do it, but how about a little direction. If there's a tutorial available? That would work.

I have two concerns. 1. There are 15+ gigs of stuff on the hard disk, as I type. I've never copied anything that big. Zip it? If it won't go on one disk, how do I control what and how much is copied to each disk and how do I start/stop/start/stop from disk to disk? Don't I have to leave some percent of the disk capacity unused? How do I know when the disk is "full"? 2. How do I install the back up disk(s), if/when that becomes necessary? I assume I'll have a blank hard drive at that point. Again, instructions I could read/follow to perform these steps would be helpful.

I guess in the end I question whether copying everything, EVERYTHING, from a disk would really work, does it? I'm looking for reassurance here.

Let me know, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:21 AM

I found two links that may answer your questions.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/bo...&message.id=904

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...2188&l=en&s=hea
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:52 AM

Seems to be all the more reason to build your own - that way you get the op system cd and set it up in the manor you want.

#4 brillo

brillo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:51 PM

acklan,

It worked. I went to dell support chat and asked for the OS CDs. The gal said, "I'm sending them to you now, will arrive tomorrow." WOW. Thanks for giving me that link. Gonna go give BleepingComputer.com some MOOLA right now to keep this thing going. Thanks again. I feel 37.3% more comfortable that this computer can ultimately rise again after I kill it, which inevitably, I will.

Rob

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:10 PM

Excellent. I'm glad Dell worked with you. Thanks for posting the results. It may help someone else.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:03 PM

One additional suggestion:

There are external USB hard drives available for backup purposes (or to use as an additional drive as well).

I bought one a couple of months ago - 80gig Western Digital that came with Dantz Retrospect backup software. I am sure the other HD manufacturers make similar drives.

Anyway, it was cheap! Less than $80. Look for them on sale.
That eliminates the need to backup on cds or dvds and automates the backup process.

#7 brillo

brillo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:29 AM

Followup:

The disks did indeed arrive the next day. All other DELL issues aside, I am truly impressed. :thumbsup:

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:31 AM

Excellent. Noce to hear it is going well. Keep us updated.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 01:34 PM

Followup:

The disks did indeed arrive the next day. All other DELL issues aside, I am truly impressed. :thumbsup:

Consider how many people buy Dell computers and do not realize they need the disks until a year or so goes by, and then Dell charges $40 or so to provide them when they should have provided them with the computer.

You caught them immediately - most people don't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users