Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 issues - Plus signs in login box and boots to OS selection menu

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wdkoseck

wdkoseck

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:00 AM

A friend of mine has a Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium that has two issues.

1) When she boots the laptop it boots to the OS Selection menu where you have to select Windows Vista Home Preimium - this is the only os on the machine.

2) When she selects any of the user accounts on the machine it automnatically starts putting plus signs in the password field until she clicks in the password box.

She has run Malware Bytes and Super Anti Spyware on the machine to clean up any spyware, I loaded Comodo Antivirus last night and let it run to see if it could find anything on the computer (I know it found 7692 items but it was still running at the time I left).

She had Avast antivirus on the machine that had quit working and she was unable to uninstall it but I was able to download the uninstall tool and remove it from the machine.

She loaded AVG Antivirus and ran that prior to the Comodo being installed and that did not find anything.

I went into the MSCONFIG sectin and removed any unnecessary startup items.
I cleaned up all temporary files, cookies, etc... from the machine.

I saw an article about performing a 'Clean Boot' on the machine but I am not sure what that will do for me.

She did restore the machine to an earlier date but that did not resolve the issue.

She said that this started about two weeks ago but has not loaded anything new on the machine.

I opened up notepad to see if the plus signs would continue there but nothing happens.

Does anyone know how to solve these two issues?

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 25 May 2012 - 07:46 AM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wdkoseck

wdkoseck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

Here is one of the entries from the Comodo log:

Exploit.Java.Agent.hd@123914097 C:\Users\Wendy\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\1\2f310681-4670a347

I can find some messages about Exploit:Java but I am not sure if this is normal or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users