Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Playlist backup/sync?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Curious Mew

Curious Mew

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:26 AM

Hi, is there a piece of software or media player out there capable of backing up or syncing music playlists? I'm not exactly looking to backup the music files themselves, just the playlist names and a track record of what is inside them? I like to keep my settings in the cloud just in case of a HDD failure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:31 PM

Your question is deceptively simple.

Most playlists are just text files with the names and locations of songs. So, in theory, you should just be able to copy the playlist to the appropriate back-up medium -- a CD-R, an external hard drive, etc. -- and copy it back. As long as nothing has changed, it should work.

There's a good definition of playlists at Wikipedia. The sections on Computers and Types of Playlist Files might be helpful.

What application or device are your playlists being used for?

#3 Curious Mew

Curious Mew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

Your question is deceptively simple.

Most playlists are just text files with the names and locations of songs. So, in theory, you should just be able to copy the playlist to the appropriate back-up medium -- a CD-R, an external hard drive, etc. -- and copy it back. As long as nothing has changed, it should work.

There's a good definition of playlists at Wikipedia. The sections on Computers and Types of Playlist Files might be helpful.

What application or device are your playlists being used for?

deceptively simple?! awesome! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link, I'll look into it. Oh I'm just wanting to use them for personal use.. I still haven't found a music player I'm 100% happy with, and thought I'd base my choice on a player that keeps my playlist(s) in order via computer and in cloud form.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users