Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with finding a laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 psychedelic__

psychedelic__

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:45 AM

I have a Dell laptop which has caused me lots of grief over the last few years. I am surprised since Dell generally seem to have good laptop (from what I've heard) so now I am really lost as to what laptop I should get. I am thinking of getting one in the next few months and have no idea where to start.

My budget for the new computer is:
$1500 AUD

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?
Internet browsing, email, word processing and creating documents/presentations/publications, recreational graphic design, watching movies/TV shows, Skype

What software do you intend on using on the computer?
Microsoft Office, Skype, GIMP/Photoshop, iTunes, VLC Media Player

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?
No

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?
Some sort of music program (whether it is radio streaming through the Internet or iTunes), a web browser and a few files open but not much more than that.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?
Yes.

Other things:
- Lightweight preferrable
- Screen not too big

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

Hi, with the budget of $1500, you could basically get a gaming laptop but would be a overkill for your uses. Also since, your from Australia, there is a reputable online Melbourne based store called PCCaseGear.

Lenovo Y570 15.6in Notebook [0862MLM] - $859 - This laptop has a quad core i7 which should easily handle your Photoshopping tasks.

If you want something that has smaller screen and that is way lighter then there is a Toshiba ultrabook.

Toshiba Satellite Z830 - $1275 - This laptop is only 1.12kg compared to the Lenovo which is 3kg+ and it has a longer battery. Also it has a SSD which will significantly speed things up like booting up into windows or shutting down, applications opening instantly, faster file transfer etc. The downside to this laptop is, the weaker processor which is a dual core i5 and and it uses integrated graphics.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 psychedelic__

psychedelic__
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

When you say that it has a weaker processor and uses integrated graphics, what are the implications of that?

And for my needs, what budget do you think I should be looking at? $1500 is just a ball-park figure, but I am willing to pay more if I see something that is worth it.

I just don't want to buy a laptop only to have to send it to the repairers every 9 months or so which is what I have had to do with my current Dell.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

The i5 would be able to get through the tasks but the i7 just has grunt in it while the integrated graphics is adequate. The Toshiba will work but the Lenovo is overall a faster laptop for a lower price point. But if you value more in a lighter laptop and longer battery then the Toshiba would do the trick.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 psychedelic__

psychedelic__
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:26 PM

Thanks so much for your advice! I am still going to shop around a bit, but I will definitely take what you have said into consideration :)

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

Good luck in finding that perfect laptop. You should check the retail stores like JBHIFI, Dicksmith, Harvey Norman etc

>Michael 

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101° N, 0.2906° W

• Members
  • 5,861 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:11 AM

Also be aware that The Toshiba Satellite Z830 13.3in Ultrabook is considerably smaller (13.3in instead of 15.6in) and thinner as it doesn’t include an optical drive.....and therefore weighs considerably less........this means you have no cd or dvd drive.
Brian

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:43 PM

<<I just don't want to buy a laptop only to have to send it to the repairers every 9 months or so which is what I have had to do with my current Dell.>>

One of the most basic drawbacks of any laptop...is that it either must go to a shop or back to the manufacturer for maintenance issues...where a desktop can often be self-repaired by the user. You cannot negate the risk of such with any laptop brand/model.

Just get one that you like...get the appropriate warranty...and hope for the best. Since the warranty is going to cost extra, there's little point in not ever using it :). It's meant to be a convenience to users who cannot self-repair their systems.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users