Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommend me a laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kman12

Kman12

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:08 AM

Hi everyone;

I'm nearing the end of my college career and I'm shopping for a new laptop. However, I have alot of specification's for what I'm looking for and I hope I can find something with what I have in mind. Hope I'm not too picky!

I'm first of all looking for a laptop that is small, light, compact, and durable as well as one that packs alot of disk space on it. I.e something that is very easy to carry around(not bulky) and doesn't weigh alot. Also, I want something that is good for both doing work and playing games on. Furthermore, I would like a machine that has a VERY LONG battery life. I would also like a laptop with 3G or anywhere wireless capability so I can use it on the go.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations I get.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

If you want small, light, compact, long battery then a ultrabook fits that description, something like this but the disadvantage to ultrabooks is they don't use discrete graphics which is important for gaming and they use SSDs which isn't to big. This one would fit all your needs but a bit heavier.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Dalewyn

Dalewyn

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:08 AM

I have a VPCSA41FX Sony VAIO laptop (very similar to the VPCSA43FX that killerx525 linked) and I absolutely love everything about it with the exception of one thing: It has a relatively short battery life. At full charge, my VAIO laptop lasts somewhere between 2~4 hours depending on whether I have it set to "Stamina" or "Speed" (you can manually switch between integrated and discrete GPUs with a small switch above the keyboard).

The OP requested a "very long" battery life, so this might be a small issue depending on how crucial battery life is. Everything else about the VPCSA series is great though. :)

#4 Kman12

Kman12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:38 AM

Interesting will check both of what you guys reced out.

Does anyone know much about the MacBook Air? If so how is it? I've read that's it's gotten good reviews.

Thanks again!

#5 Djking

Djking

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

Only drawback for this one, is no discrete graphics, but 1.3 gb of shared video memory: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+14%22+Laptop+-+8GB+Memory+-+750GB+Hard+Drive+-+Aluminum+Platinum/4566459.p?id=1218492325284&skuId=4566459

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users