Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD kernel_data_inpage_error FDC.Sys on shutdown

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bg458

bg458

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:12 PM

Hello,

I've got a new pc build (FEB) with a BSOD that's been plaguing me and hopefully someone with more knowledge than I could help out.

kernel_data_inpage_error
stop: 0x0000007a (0xc05d1cc0,0xc00000a3, 0xba398000, 0x933ec8c0)
fdc.sys - address ba398000 base at ba398000, datestamp 00000000

I get this error after rendering a video with nero vision 8 or video studio then shutting down the system. I can render videos for several hours and everything works fine but when I shut the system down at the end of shutting down, I get the BSOD. It will not generate a dump and yes, I have the startup/recovery options set to create a minidump and have also tried to create the kernel dump as well. I have the page file on my C: drive and there's plenty of space on it.

If I don't render a video, system runs fine and can run for hours and shuts down just fine as well.

I can recreate this problem at will. I've reduced the video size so it only takes 10 min to render so I don't have to wait hours to recreate the problem. I cut the video down to take only 2 min and it wouldn't recreate so I use the 10 min one to test this.

This problem only occurs when I shut down the system and only at the end when you think it's about to shut off. I can render a video and let the computer sit for hours but when I shut it down, it bsod's.

The reason I installed 8g of memory is future expansion. I've tried to run with both chips and 1 or the other. Makes no difference.

A system dump would be nice but it just won't generate one and I know there are a couple of reasons that could happen.

My system:
xp pro sp3
ASROCK 880GM-LE
Corsair XMS3 PC1333 memory (2) 4g
AMD Athlon X3 455 3300mhz triple core processor in a box w/fan
Western Digital 160 GB Caviar Blue SATA WD1600AAJS
Western Digital® Caviar® Green™ 1TB SATA WDBAAY0010HNC
Thermaltake 650W power supply
generic 3.5" floppy
I use the on-board video, audio & networking.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:19 PM

That the error code could mean a memory error. Have you run any memory checking routines like MemTest86?
A guide is in the link above - Let the test run at least 12 hours and better is 24 hours -

Next -
1.Click Start, click Run, type chkdsk /r, and then click OK.
2.At the command prompt, type Y to let the disk scanner run when you restart the computer.
3.Restart the computer.
4.Chkdsk will run. Please allow about 1 hour for the scan to run and do not try to stop it. The system will reboot when finished.

Check your Device Manager and see if any ( ! or ? ) signs are beside any items.

#3 bg458

bg458
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:23 AM

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Before I read your note, I've been trying more things and I'll get to the mem test.

Found that if I disconnect the ribbon cable from my 3.5" floppy, I don't get the blue screen and it shuts down fine. I've already tried 3 different floppies and 2 ribbon cables, all that work on other machines. They're older floppies, 2003 and before. Don't know if newer ones are somehow different but not planning to buy new ones. Same problem with all of the floppies and ribbon cables. Connected-problem, unconnected-no problem.

Could a memory problem somehow be related to this? The floppy actually works fine and only have the problem when rendering a video.

Thanks

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:00 AM

Could a memory problem somehow be related to this?

Unlikely.

Curious issue: You've done a good job pinpointing the problem.

Let's collect some more information: I'll have a look at it and help you try to resolve the problem.
  • I realise it is unlikely there are any minidumps to be collected, but the other information gathered (eg. the event logs) may assist.

:step1: Download the following 2 files and save both to the My Documents folder:

:step2: Go to the My Documents folder and run #1 (BSOD_XP_v1.3_jcgriff2_PROD_.exe). (That will also run #2.)

It will take a little time to complete: Please be patient and wait for it to finish.
A new folder named TSF_XP_Support will be created in My Documents.

:step3: Zip up the newly created TSF_XP_Support folder.
  • Right-click on the TSF_XP_Support folder > Send to ... > Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    The newly created zip file will be located in the My Documents folder.

:step4: Please upload the zip file to a file sharing website of your choice and and post a link to it in this thread so that we can access your uploaded zip file.

Note: The BC forums will allow a total attachment size of only 512 kb (and what you need to attach will exceed this limit).
See the suggestions in the following links for recommendations on file sharing websites:
  • http://lifehacker.com/388284/best-online-file-sharing-services
  • http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/15-great-free-online-file-sharing-alternatives/
  • http://www.smashingapps.com/2008/08/28/5-best-free-file-hosting-services-to-store-your-files.html

:step5: Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, and post a link to it in this thread.
  • It is a convenient and accurate way of providing us with details of your computer specifications.

:step6: Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
  • Checkmark the following checkboxes:
    • List Installed Programs
  • Click Go.
    When the scan is finished, a text file will open in a Notepad window.
  • Copy the entire contents of the Notepad window, and paste in your reply.
    (Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.)

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users