Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer goes to a crawl.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 emango

emango

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

Hey guys, new member here! My problem started about two weeks ago when i started to notice my computer going really, really slow to the point where i have to restart. I also want to mention that this is a gaming rig i made about a year ago. anyways i'm going to list some things that it does.

1.after any game i play the computer goes really slow to where i have to restart.
2.after i restart it TAKES FOREVER for it to load windows(used to take only 15 seconds or less)
3.If i right click the desktop, it takes a really long time for anything to happen.

Steps that i done to maybe help the issue.

1.defrag the harddrive, clean registry.
2.scanned for viruses'
3.check for heating problems but found none.

sometimes it runs decent, but anything i open after i reboot windows takes forever to load, then it's fine. I'm clueless on what's happening and any info would be appreciated!.

(One last note, I've had this hard drive for a really long time now and its been switched to different Mobo's.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:52 AM

1) I don't know what you mean by "clean the registry", but if you used a registry cleaning utility you very likely did more harm than good. Those utilities can be very harmful to your system and NEVER serve any good purpose.

2) How long does it take to boot ("forever" isn't helpful ;) ).

3) How does it run when you boot to safe mode?

4) To run checkdisk, right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

Check also thermal events readings before, during or after gaming and run your current antivirus/malware/spyware software.

Tekken

#4 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,793 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:09 PM

Click Start.

In the search bar, type MSCONFIG and hit Enter. Click the "Startup" tab.

Write down only the names in the "Startup Item" column that have a checkmark next to them.

If the "Startup Item" column isn't wide enough to see the entire name of any of them, widen the column.

Submit those names here in a vertical list.

Make sure to spell them EXACTLY as you see them there.

----------------------------------------------------------

Click Start - Run, then type in

%temp%

and then click OK.

Click Start - Run, then type in

c:\windows\temp

and then click OK.

Once those 2 temp folders appear and you can view their contents, select and delete EVERYTHING that's inside them.

If a few files resist being deleted, that's normal behavior. Leave them alone and delete EVERYTHING else.

If a massive number of files are being deleted, the computer may appear to "hang". Be patient and wait for the deletion process to finish.

After it's done, restart the computer.

----------------------------------------------------------

Visit this site: http://billsway.com/vbspage/

Scroll down to the section that says "List Installed Programs" and download it, by using this icon: Posted Image

Save it to your Desktop, then right-click and select Extract all.

A folder should open, double click on the file inside called InstalledPrograms.vbs.

Press OK at the prompt, then Yes to view the results.

A text file will open, copy and paste this in your next reply.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#5 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

Use ccleaner slim.

http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Standard_d5125.html

Use built in disk cleanup.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Delete-files-using-Disk-Cleanup

Edited by zbd, 29 May 2012 - 09:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users