Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop shuts down.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 autigerfan

autigerfan

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

Evening partygoers!

My wife has a HP Pavillion 9000. She was using her laptop and then it just shut down. She tried to restart it and the hard drive would run for a second or two and then the laptop would turn off. About 5 min later she tried it again and it made it as the as "starting windows in safe mode". The last time we tried it I had her go into the BIOS and as she was starting a memory diagnostic test the laptop turned off. She waited about 3 min, turned it back on and then it the laptop was on for about 10 seconds and then it turned off.

When the laptop is attempting to start you can hear the hard drive going and then it just turns off. So I am not sure if it is a viral or malware situtation or the hdd is pretty much dead. This has never happened before w/ the laptop just turning off. The wife had only read a few articles on yahoo and went on her facebook profile today and that is it. This why I am thinking it might be a mechanical issue- I just don't know so I thought I would start here.

thanks for your time in reading this and the suggestions you will give.
Her CPU is a AMD Turon w/ 250 gig. ( she has over 150 gig free.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 autigerfan

autigerfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

A few more things partygoers, The battery to the laptop does work, the laptop was plugged in w/ the power cord while she was using it. We did take out the battery and reinstall it but it made no difference. So the laptop made it as far as the BIOS page and stayed on for about ohhhh i'd say 15 seconds and when she made it to windows safe mode about 20 seconds. So that is the longest amount of time it had stayed on since this issue started.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users