Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I being stitched up?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Evad1980

Evad1980

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

Help... Had a phone call today from someone claiming to know that my computer was infected with a virus, called a 'Trojan horse'. Can't remember exactly where they said they were calling from but it sounded like a call centre and he claimed that he could see this virus on my network or server or something like that, he reckoned it had flagged up on his system and it was serious and he had to call to fix it somehow? I'm not a computer genius so he could have said anything really. He rang me on my landline and knew my full name so it kinda sounded legit and wanted a few mins of my time to start up my computer and I guess he wanted me to log on to something or other? I didn't, as a suspicious customer I made an excuse and told him I didn't have time, he will be ringing back.. Apparently?

Now, what I'd like to know is, does this sound like some sort of stitch up to you?

Evad.

Edited by hamluis, 30 May 2012 - 06:04 AM.
Moved from MRL to AV, Firewall, etc. - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

This is a scam EVad.

http://www.webologist.co.uk/internet-security/pc-support-security-scams-zfsendtotarget-clsid-trick

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-security/phone-call-from-windows-is-this-a-scam/1164b6ee-e441-41bf-b210-2e293cab96c5
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Evad1980

Evad1980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

Ha yeah thought so... Arse holes!! Cheers buddy....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users