Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unexpected Shutdown [BlueScreen]

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pipibess

pipibess

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

I was reading a few other posts, but wasn't able to solve my problem (which others seem to be having). I was wondering if someone could take a look at my codes down there and see what's up.

Dell Inspiron 1545
Vista SP2

I recently compressed my C: drive and updated my iTunes (which I also uninstalled, hoping it'd help, but it hasn't)

Anyway, any help would be appreciated; I've included the error code & messages below:

Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown.
Windows can check online for a solution.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 7a
BCP1: C0403D98
BCP2: C0000185
BCP3: B8C7F860
BCP4: 807B3A9A
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini052412-03.dmp
C:\Users\Elise\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-78250-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Elise\AppData\Local\Temp\WER9F1B.tmp.version.txt

Thanks!
"... and seemingly as winter had become spring, confusion had become insight..." - andrew mcmahon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

I recently compressed my C: drive ...

Oh dear .... bad idea! Why did you do this? Did you do this before the problem (BSOD) arose?
  • If you are running out of free space on C: drive, then you should move unnecessary files off that drive and to another storage media.
    • The minimum free space that you should ever let your Windows system drive get down to is 15%.
      You should aim to keep at least 25% free space.
  • Then return the drive to an uncompressed state.

Is there any sign of malware on the system, or have you had to deal with a malware infection on the system recently?

If the above steps do not resolve your problem and there is not likely to be a malware issue, then continue with the following to resolve a problem with BSODs ...

Let's collect some more information: I'll have a look at it and help you try to resolve the problem.

:step1: Please follow the instructions: BSOD Posting Instructions: Windows 7 - Vista

(Note: When you run BSOD_Windows7_Vista_v2.64_jcgriff2_.exe, it will also run autoruns.exe ... and both need to be in the same location!)
... with one exception in the following line:
  • "4. Zip up the entire output folder + PERFMON and attach the zip file to your next post."
The BC forums will allow a total attachment size of only 512 kb (and what you need to attach will exceed this limit). Please upload the zip file to a file sharing website of your choice and and post a link to it in this thread so that we can access your uploaded zip file. I will have a look at the contained information and see if I can shed some light on your BSOD issue.

See the suggestions in the following links for recommendations on file sharing websites:
  • http://lifehacker.com/388284/best-online-file-sharing-services
  • http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/15-great-free-online-file-sharing-alternatives/
  • http://www.smashingapps.com/2008/08/28/5-best-free-file-hosting-services-to-store-your-files.html

:step2: Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, and post a link to it in this thread.
  • It is a convenient and accurate way of providing us with details of your computer specifications.

:step3: Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
  • Checkmark the following checkboxes:
    • List Installed Programs
  • Click Go.
    When the scan is finished, a text file will open in a Notepad window.
  • Copy the entire contents of the Notepad window, and paste in your reply.
    (Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.)

Edited by AustrAlien, 24 May 2012 - 07:09 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 pipibess

pipibess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

In response to your question, yes... I did it this past weekend, thinking it'd help the computer to run faster. I don't remember how much space was on it before I started, but I think it was more than 15%. It was after compressing the C: drive that the BSODs started, but only just. Also during the last week or so, I updated my iTunes, which I've been putting off, and my Frostwire (which you'll later abscond me for having, so I figure I'll be honest about it's being on my computer). Just today, I uninstalled iTunes, Quicktime and Frostwire, to see if any of those updates were part of the problem. I also checked the video card driver, because I saw that some people had that as their issue, but mine says it's working properly.

That's a lot longer of a response that I'd originally anticipated, but I'll get started on those steps you provided and send over my results tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for your speedy reply!

Hopefully some of those things I told you will give you some more clues.
"... and seemingly as winter had become spring, confusion had become insight..." - andrew mcmahon

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

It was after compressing the C: drive that the BSODs started, but only just.

Let's see if you still have a problem after reverting your system drive back to an uncompressed state.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 pipibess

pipibess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

Okay - do you think it'll shut itself off while it's decompressing? Is there a way to prevent that?

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

I don't know for sure that it is possible, but try doing it after loading Windows in Safe Mode. There is less likelihood of the system crashing while in Safe Mode.

To start Windows in Safe Mode, start tapping F8 after pressing the ON button when starting the computer to get to the Advanced Boot Options menu.

Edited by AustrAlien, 24 May 2012 - 09:33 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users