Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG 2012 Free version

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

I have used this AV for years over various updates etc. and it has performed superbly.

I would just outline one factor with AVG that is incredibly annoying and at times a nuisance. AVG updates every day, sometimes these are small affairs that do not take long, but mostly they last a long time. The updates take place by scheduled selection time which we choose under Advanced Settings.

Whatever time is chosen, if the PC is shut down or on Standby/Hibernate, the update does not take place on time of course. Then on start up, just when you want to do some work, AVG automatically starts to update. On my machine, this drains every drop of power and my work screens just clag up and go onto "Not Responding". Once AVG plays this game, you can forget your PC until the updating has finished. AVG hogs the lot and leaves nothing for anything else.

Answer ? Just do not check the box under Advanced Schedule Options which says "Run on computer start up if task has been missed". That stops it dead.

OK, you miss AVG updating to schedule and the AVG Colonel`s would go into a heart seizure, but all you do is manually update it when convenient. If you forget and it goes on too long, don`t worry, AVG kindly plonk a nice red screen before your very eyes advising that you are in dreadful peril and to update immediately. No harm done, give a shrug and just do it.

To me, whilst I nurse AVG best I can and try not to forget it`s little updates, it all does not matter too much, since I use Sandboxie and an AV is almost excess baggage.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made a decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information.

With the release of AVG 2011/2012, there have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Unlike previous versions, AVG 2011 cannot be easily disabled to prevent it from interfering with other security tools. Read these related discussions:Even MajorGeeks, a popular download hosting site, had issued a Statement on AVG Free 2011 and removed its Editor's Pick listing at that time.

There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems for which AVG has had to release these fix instructions.

There have also been reported problems with computers after using new features like PC Analyzer and PC Tuneup which purport to fix registry errors in order to make the system more stable and various optimizing tools which can make changes to system settings.

I do not recommend the routine use of registry cleaners/optimizers as they are extremely powerful applications that can damage the Windows registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from booting properly. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users