Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse activates without clicking

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rainbow_warrior

rainbow_warrior

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

I recently (January) got an old Dell Latitude laptop computer running XP Service Pack 3 x86 NTFS. The mouse acts a bit strangely. For some targets the mouse acts as if it had been left-clicked when the cursor just pauses over the target. For instance, if the cursor points to one of the tabs at the bottom to bring the object back to the top, it will usually pop up in a second or so, but then it will disappear again in another second or so if the cursor is still there. When trying to right-click a link to open a page in a new tab, it will often open the new page in the new tab as well as changing the old tab to the new page. Since this machine has very low RAM, any change in the display can be time consuming.

I could not find anything in the Control Panel that would restore more normal mouse function. I did check in folder options, and did find that ``double-click to open'' was checked, as it normally is.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

Download and check in TweakUI to make sure X-mouse isn't activated
http://www.winxptutor.com/xmouse.htm

#3 rainbow_warrior

rainbow_warrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

I downloaded and installed that tweakuipowertoy and the two boxes for x-mouse were not checked. Also the mouse is not acting that way now. Is it possible that installing this powertoy and not checking the boxes disables tweaks that happened some other way? Do I need to be concerned that it is virus-connected? I have been running avast, malware bytes antimalware, and Spybot S & D, and the previous owner ran AVG (all free editions).

Actually, I just pointed the mouse at the button that makes Firefox only fill part of the screen, and it did activate, after some delay, but the maximize button is not activating without clicking. I did it twice.

The following are in Spybot restore from January: MyFreeze Toolbar, two registry items, and the related W3i.IQ5.fraud, one registry item, and a directory which I think was already empty, and Fraud.Sysguard, a zip file. (The +- buttons in Spybot recovery toggled without clicking.)

In MBAM quarantine are mostly MyWebSearch/FunWebProducts stuff, but also PUM.Bad.Proxy, one registry value, Trojan.FakeAlert, three registry keys and a .job file, Trojan.FakeAV, one registry key, Trojan.Downloader, two .job files, and Hijack.Zones, one registry Key, all from the first time I ran it.

The only items in the Avast! virus chest are Dc182.exe from RECYCLER, and PRFIH.dll from Panda antivirus, which I'm sure is a false positive. I'm not sure whether I still have access to the AVG quarantine.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

I'm not a fan of Spybot - it's "old school" and there are modules that can cause problems (ie, tea timer). If I were you I'd just uninstall it. As for the rest, let's see what happens from here on out.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

Exactly what problems...or unusual behavior...are you experiencing right now, please?

Louis

#6 rainbow_warrior

rainbow_warrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

I am all right with the bubble captions when the mouse points at a button, but otherwise, I do not want anything to happen unless I click.

As for Spybot, I did find that teatimer was getting too resource intensive and crashing the machine, and this laptop has even less RAM. So I stopped using teatimer. Spybot did find the traces of MyFreeze which MBAM missed, because I think I ran MBAM first. I am thinking that MyFreeze and FunWebSearch are two separate malwares, although I do not remember for certain.

I also ran HijackThis, and did not see anything I thought was suspicious. Is that ``old school'' as well?

I am also leaning toward installing Linux.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:08 AM

If you do find that you have other problems, please be specific in a reply to the question from hamluis -

MyFreeze and FunWebSearch are regarded by Spybot S&D as Adware / Spyware "bots" and the program will remove them, plus usually any Search Bar that is attached.
These are 2 programs usually loaded secretly with certain games / programs and tend to "Spy" on your movements.
You can GOOGLE these 2 above listed programs and you will find this particular information -

Spybot S&D will generally remove these type of minor "pests" that are not actually infections, but are very annoying items (the only reason I leave Spybot installed).

>"I also ran HijackThis, and did not see anything I thought was suspicious. Is that ``old school'' as well?"< If you can diagnose a HJT log, this is OK, but there are many more programs used these days that show a lot more information than that program, so it is rarely used for diagnostics these days -

Thank You -

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

I am all right with the bubble captions when the mouse points at a button, but otherwise, I do not want anything to happen unless I click.

As for Spybot, I did find that teatimer was getting too resource intensive and crashing the machine, and this laptop has even less RAM. So I stopped using teatimer. Spybot did find the traces of MyFreeze which MBAM missed, because I think I ran MBAM first. I am thinking that MyFreeze and FunWebSearch are two separate malwares, although I do not remember for certain.

I also ran HijackThis, and did not see anything I thought was suspicious. Is that ``old school'' as well?

I am also leaning toward installing Linux.

Not sure where we are at this point - lots of chefs :)

Is everything running okay?

#9 rainbow_warrior

rainbow_warrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

The one specific problem is the way the mouse acts. I would like to fix it so that it does not activate a button unless clicked. Thank you for all your suggestions.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

The one specific problem is the way the mouse acts. I would like to fix it so that it does not activate a button unless clicked. Thank you for all your suggestions.

Sorry Allan if we over posted the first part of the question, but rainbow_warrior mentioned several items -
To the original problem -
Have you attempted to install and use a New Mouse at any stage ? The old mouse may also be "sticking on" or faulty in some other way
I have had this while using Paint program. When I selected Eraser, and the mouse pointer / eraser would wipe out any item it passed over without clicking / holding a button.
A new installed mouse solved the problem instantly when nothing else would work -

Just my last view on this subject -

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

Nothing to apologize for - I confuse easily :)

Uninstalling and reinstallign the mouse driver (assuming there is one installed) is a good idea - certainly worth trying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users