Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best free and paid AV?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 YesImOtto

YesImOtto

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:33 AM

Hi everyone.

1. I am wondering, everyone should have at least 1 AV and 1 AntiMalware, and a firewall right?

I am thinking that if I but a paid version of an antivirus, will I still need an antimalware and firewall? Or will that "paid" version be strong enough?

2. I have done some research, and I think the best free AV is Avast, whereas the best paid AV is BitDefender. What do you guys think?

So if I decide to buy paid version of BitDefender, will I still need MBAM, SuperSAS, etc.?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:59 AM

We have a pinned topic which should answer most of your questions.

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Choosing a Firewall
Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 YesImOtto

YesImOtto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

Thank you very much quietman7

I already have a free AV, and that is Avast. Just wondering if having the paid version of BitDefender will be enough to uninstall my MBAM? Im not saying I want to uninstall MBAM, but I think if a paid version of antivirus is so strong, does it mean we don't need to use anti malware and firewall, etc.?

EDIT: Btw, is BitDefender anti malware or anti virus?

Edited by sumosalad, 24 May 2012 - 07:38 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:50 AM

Just wondering if having the paid version of BitDefender will be enough to uninstall my MBAM?

BitDefender is an anti-virus program, Malwarebytes is an anti-malware program.

The links I provided in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools explain the difference.

Why should you use both Anti Virus and Anti Spyware Software?
Antivirus and Antispyware Software: What's The Difference?
Differences Between Antivirus & Anti-Spyware
What Is the Difference Between Antivirus & Antispyware?

If you are going to switch to BitDefender you will need to remove avast first.

#5 YesImOtto

YesImOtto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:57 AM

Yeah, so even having the paid version of BitDefender is not an excuse for me to get rid of an antimalware since I need both right? AV and anti malware.

Well...So now, regarding what I said in my first post, am I right insaying that the best paid version is BitDefender? It even got awards.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

so even having the paid version of BitDefender is not an excuse for me to get rid of an antimalware since I need both right? AV and anti malware.

Yes you need both.

am I right insaying that the best paid version is BitDefender? It even got awards.

There is no best anti-virus.

These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results. Read Anti-virus Testing Websites: An overview of testing sites

Independent Anti-virus software Comparisons & Tests

#7 YesImOtto

YesImOtto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

Ok quiteman, just 1 more thing.

I have read numerous articles that claim BitDefender to be a huge resource-eater - it takes up lots of your CPU performance hence slowing down the computer.

Do you use BitDefender? Or at least know if that statement is true? Yes BitDefender is 1 of the best, however, all the claims regarding Bitdefender slowing down your PC - is it true? If so, is it significant?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:10 AM

I do not use BitDefender so I don't know if those statements are true or not. I do know that it is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to be resource heavy and negatively affect system performance. This is because they require numerous services and running processes that consume a lot of resources which often results in complaints of high CPU usage. This is especially true, if the anti-virus software is a bundled suite which includes extra features with unnecessary "bells and whistles." How adversely the impact on performance also depends on the computer system itself (amount of, RAM, CPU speed, motherboard, etc) and what other installed programs load at startup which will compete for system resources.

My personal choice is NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint, meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-Virus is also a good choice.

If you're looking for a free alternative, I recommend any of the following:-- Note: Many anti-virus vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products. If pre-checked by default that means you need to uncheck that option during installation if you don't want it.

If you ask for opinions as to which anti-virus others like, you will probably receive a wide array of answers.

#9 YesImOtto

YesImOtto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:06 AM

Yeah, I dont mind. I am looking for Paid version of antivirus, currently using the free of Avast.

But thank you for your opinion, quietman

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

You're welcome.

#11 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

Just an FYI.

Bitdefender has been known to write to the System Reserved partition, which results in the Windows 7 built-in system imaging app malfunctioning.
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/the-backup-failed-when-creating-system-image-in-windows-7/
http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=25689

#12 YesImOtto

YesImOtto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:59 AM

Thanks for that mate.

But...BitDefender won so many awards!! I think right now top 3 are

Symantec Norton AV
Kaspersky AV
BitDefender AV

You can go to reviews, and BitDefender is almost always at the top.

So......if what you said is true, then BitDefender is simply..not good?

#13 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

No one is saying Bitdefender is not good, but there is more to consider when choosing an AV other than just detection rates.

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

Any of the top 5 AV's should provide sufficient protection, when combined with safe computing practices.

Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention

How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected

Windows Security - Build another STANDARD ACCOUNT for safety from most malware attacks

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

Before you actually purchase a product go to the product website. If there is a free trial install and use it. This will give you a chance to see if it plays nice with your system, you can see if it is user friendly and if it consumes resources. Bit Defender has free trials for all products.

One possible advantage to free trials: You usually have to provide an email address. Close to the end of the trial period some companies might send you an email with a special offer for the product at a discounted price.

There is no one size fits all when it comes to security. What works for me may not work for you. We could recommend programs until the middle of the next century but until you try it you won't know if it affects your system. I've had highly rated security suites which ended up making my computer crawl slower than a turtle. Others have used those same programs with no problems.

As for antimalware programs malware comes in so many forms that multiple tools are needed.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 May 2012 - 05:53 PM.

#15 YesImOtto

YesImOtto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:31 PM

Thank you very much for all the replies.

I would love to hear some opinions, what are good pay Antivirus programs? I am sure I will get good and safe information knowing its from people like you who are giving me advice.

------------------

Edit: It is kinda annoying because I tried installing BitDefender but it says I must remove Avast first....

Well, if this is the case then I cannot check the trial versions, because I need to delete Avast first..? Should I really uninstall Avast just to try this BitDefender free trial?

Also, apologies for 1 more question. With BitDefender, there are so many....which one should I try? There are:

Antivirus Plus 2012
Total Security 2012
Internet Security 2012.

Which one should I download? Why can't they make it just all-in-one? :P

Edited by dynwar7, 27 May 2012 - 11:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users