Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sonic Update Manager Asks For Cd, Have No Cd!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 brillo

brillo

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:40 PM

First try at this so bear with me,
Inspiron 6000, XP MCE, 3 weeks old directly from DELL. At startup, Sonic update manager screen appears, wants to install update, tells me to insert Sonic update manager disk and click OK. I have no SUM disk, Sonic software came preinstalled. The SUM screen won't go away. Doesn't seem to affect computer functioin, but there it is, won't go away. This may help: Occasionally when I"m online, an "Install Shield Update" screen appears with updates to Sonic and Corel programs only. The last time it popped up, a couple days ago, it had updates for the Sonic audio/video programs, but I was busy with something else, so I clicked "later" or "not now". It went away, I didn't see it again anyway. But then, on every subsequent startup, there's the SUM screen telling me to install the updates from the Sonic CD. I went to Sonic webpage looking for updates. They have search process for updates, but don't list my product, which say it is SonicDigitalMedia LE v7. I enter this name in search and response is "the page is unavailable". None of the products they list is titled anything close to SonicDigitalMedia LE v7. I'm thinking this is some special edition "LE", limited edition?, Sonic and Dell put together and therefore it's not on Sonic's product list. Maybe so? Of course the other question is, Do I need this Install Shield/Sonic software at all? Is there another program out there for reasonable cost to do the job and take its place? I ask this because "Install Shield" shows up as "Nasty" on Hijackthis scan results... And I don't like it popping up, demanding I down load 100 MB updates immediately or get a screen at startup that won't go away for the rest of eternity? Not a big deal, but if someone has a suggestion, let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:35 AM

I would go to the statrup programs and delete the sonic update, and maybe even sonic. Won't bug you, and you can open it if you need it. I deleted sonic because it kept popping up as spyware on scans. There are numerous replacements on the web for free.

Edited by gunner, 28 February 2006 - 12:36 AM.

Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users