Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

motherboard at 57 degrees Celsius Is this a problem?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 petegt5012

petegt5012

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:49 PM

gateway 5012 3 gb ram, dual core 2.8 ghz original 250 gb hardrive, added a 500 gb harddrive original ram was 1gb (2 512 simms) added 2 1gb simms to get to 3gb.

Hamluis reccomended I post this question here.

From an earlier post trying to track down some issues. Speccy shows my motherboard is at 57 degrees Celsius constantly.
If I start programs it jumps to as much as 63 degrees, once I saw it at 64 ,speccy shows it red at 64 degrees.

When i start other programs, any program that takes time to start such as IE, the secondary fan starts up and seems to cool down the motherboard to 57 again. This second fan pulls air past the heatsink of the CPU.
The fan seems to speed up as the temp gets hotter and slowsdown as the temp goes down to 59 then 58 and is off at 57.

Is this normal or do I have a problem?
If it is a problem what can I do?

This is my speccy link http://speccy.piriform.com/results/dMTN8nHIlVZ0VEZdQPOqRmd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

its on the threshold, but not at the fry mark yet. What I would be more concerned about is whats causing the temps to run where its at-to get a better idea, download and run speedfan and see where your GPU and CPU temps are at.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 petegt5012

petegt5012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

Thanks I will try that when I get home tonight, a few hours from now

#4 petegt5012

petegt5012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

from speedfan temps are the same (cpu 58, internal 30, remote 51). They vary a bit.
my motherboard is an intel D945GCZ. don't see any temp recomendations or expected temps on speedfan site for my motherboard.

I just read in another forum that intel D820 cpu's can run to 70 degrees without a problem. Is this true?
If so I guess my temps should be ok?
I cannot find anything from intel directly.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

according to intel its 64.1 degrees celsius. the Pentium D line ran hot-always has. Its rated for 65, I imagine it probably could hit 70, at least for awhile but I wouldnt test that. If your max temp under load is 57, then I would imagine your fine. If your overly concerned about it you could add another case fan, or watch neweggs shell shocker deal, or even pick up a cheap aftermarket heatsink such as this or thisthat should drop the temp a few degrees.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 petegt5012

petegt5012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

If i wee to get another fan (or new fan) where would I pug it in?
Just to the power cable or where the original cpu/case fan is currently plugged in.

The current CPU fan merely directs air to the existing heat sink, but also draws air into the case, i suspect lessening the load on the rear case fan and the power supply fan.

Would it make sense to add the CPU fan as a 4th fan?

The other question is if i plug the new one into the mother board won't it only turn on at the same temperature that the current fan turns on, which is around 60 degrees?

I assume from the pictures of the fan you recommended these also replace the existing heat sink?

P.S. I tried to set the desired temp lower in speedfan to attempt to get my fans to run faster (more often), but it did not seem to have an affect.
This goes back to my concern about where to connect the new fan and how will it change lower my temp if still triggered by motherboard sensors?

My mother board is a Intel D945GCZ with a Pentium D820 dual core cpu chip.

EDIT: Another point is that the fan(s) have cycled on and off (perhaps just full speed and slower speed) since I bought the machine. I always thought that one fan ran at a constant speed and a second cycled/ramped on and off, speed fan seems to indicate both fans (box and cpu (not physically on the cpu) are ramping up and down.
So i am thinking that it might be designed to run at the temps it is at. Does that make any sense?

Edited by petegt5012, 27 May 2012 - 01:13 PM.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

as far as case fans are concerned, there are two major types of connectors-a 3 pin connector that connects to a system fan connector on your motherboard if the motherboard has one (there are 4 pin of these as well but usually only seen on high end mobos for the CPU fan) and the 4 pin molex. If your motherboard has an extra 3 pin fan connector, a fan with this method would be preferable, because then your motherboard can speed up or slow down the speed of the fan depending on the need, on how hot your case is. If you dont have this feature, then you need to get a 4 pin molex, these plug into an extra power connector from the PSU (most of them have extra, if not most fans have a splitter so its not a big deal) and these fans run run at 100% all the time when the computer is running, giving maximum cooling, but also making excess noise even when the added cooling isnt necessary. If I were to get an extra fan, I would try to find a way to mount it at the front bottom of the case blowing air in, and turn your rear fan so that its blowing air out.

As far as the coolers I suggested-these would replace the stock CPU cooler on your CPU right now, you would remove your current cooler, clean off the old thermal interface fluid, reapply it, and install the cooler of your choice in its stead.

Your motherboard does vary the speed of your CPU fan, and any system fans plugged into it, depending on work load/temperature. The hotter it runs, the faster the fans run, it starts cooling off the fans will slow down and/or stop. That is normal operation. And like I said-your system is not in the danger zone, pentiums have always ran hot thats just the way they are. You can continue with your current setup and not suffer any ill effects, my suggestions are merely to help your system run cooler if you choose, but if you dont want to theres no need to-your system is not in danger of overheating.

picard5.jpg

#8 petegt5012

petegt5012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

Ok thanks for your time and answers.
I think I will stay as is for now but will keep this info in mind should I change my mind.

I guess i misinterpreted your previous post, sorry about that.

I guess what I would eventually look for would be a Fan connected to the Power supply (so would be on all the time), which would most likely need to be relatively quite.
I will have to do some investigation for quietest and most CFM combined with best heatsync.
Have other more important things to do right now however.

Thanks again, I learned lots..... isn't that really what it's all about....

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

no problem-and its fine if you dont understand something feel free to ask-you learn stuff, but it also helps us learn to so that we learn how to word it better so the next guy understands better. :D

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users