Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Curious about an infection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

A year or two ago, my old computer got a virus. The virus changed the desktop background and seemingly wouldn't let any executables run. My question is: Had I come to this site, what would have probably been to course of action to remove the malware? I'm not looking for a perfect, extremely detailed response, for I know that that would probably take a considerable amount of time and may not even be possible. All I really want to know is 1. Could anything have been done? and 2. If so, what would the first step or two been?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:37 PM

The course of action depends on WHAT the virus is. There is no one size fits all removal process. It's tailored to a specific infection.

A lot also depends on WHERE one posts about malware issues. Malware Removal Logs forum asks for specific logs that are not allowed in other forums here at Bleeping Computer.

Am I Infected helpers have a different set of tools. If those tools do not get rid of the infection you would be directed to Malware Removal Logs and the prep guide. In addition to the tools in the prep guide you might be asked to run other ones.

As for could anything have been done the answer is YES-depending on the infection. Some are so nasty that the best course of action to take would be a clean reinstall of the operating system. Others can be exterminated through the clean up process.

The first step: Deciding whether to post in AII or Malware Removal Logs with a detailed post about your issues.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 May 2012 - 06:39 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,072 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:04 AM

Some malware infections target .exe files and alter associations. Without repairing the file association, .exe files will lose functionality and you may be unable to run any programs. So the next step after posting for help would be to determine if the malware in fact altered the .exe associations and repair that or if the malware was simply blocking the execution of the program. If it were blocking (interfering) with programs, there are workaround tools like RKill and RogueKiller.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:24 AM

Fascinating...so basically you're telling me that I probably didn't need to spend $200 at best buy to get it removed. That's unfortunate.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,072 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

Yes...you could have posted here for assistance and received expert help from our staff.

So keep that in mind if you encounter a problem in the future.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •