Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Motherboard in Old PC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

My Gigabyte motherboard bit the dust after 70 days, so I had to get another motherboard, MSI. The new motherboard, of course, has different drivers, so the pc will not boot past the "start windows normally" and "repair startup". I am running Windows 7.

However, I put an old hard drive in that runs Win XP from a completely different computer and it booted after I changed the settings in BIOS. (Who knew for MSI the delete key is the BIOS enter key.) Windows XP boot and installed all the necessary drivers. Unfortunately, all my software is on my Windows 7 drive, which is now the second drive in the system.

How do I get the Windows 7 drive to boot my pc? Please, I do not want to do another wipe and install, clean install, or whatever you want to call installing Windows 7 all over and losing everything on the hard drive. (Getting activation for my Microsoft Overpriced software is a PITA.)

Thank you.

Catherine

MSI 785FTM-E45
Utilities and Driver DVD for MSI Motherboard (mainboard) inserted in drive
2GB RAM

It's a me-made pc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

The Answer you don't want to hear is that the Windows 7 won't run on the new motherboard.
If the Gigabyte was only 70 days old you should have warranty on it.

Bottom line is if you put the same model motherboard in that the windows was installed to you will be back up and running.

the other option that should, note I say should as I never tried it myself, is paid software that can clone the old drive to another drive and while doing it you need to choose a recover to dissimilar hardware.

such as
http://www.todo-backup.com/business/workstation-backup.htm

Hot! One-click to restore system to dissimilar hardware - simplify system migration to dissimilar hardware (P2P) for hardware replacement.

or http://www.acronis.com/backup-recovery/#compare-overview

Restore to dissimilar hardware or VM
add-on required - add-on required

Neither of those are free. They are payware. Plus they require you to have another drive too.

good Luck
ROger

Edited by rotor123, 23 May 2012 - 04:22 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users