Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios Flash B4 Cpu Install?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iwaod

iwaod

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:20 PM

Here is my dilemma. I am purchasing and assembling a new pc and I am down to purchasing the processor and ram to finish it. I have recently decided to go with the AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200. Everything I read onlline mentions that the bios must be flashed to support the dual core and indicates that it should be done BEFORE installing the dual core chip. Is this possible? If so could someone walk me through the procedure? I have a seperate PC but it is not a 64 bit chip.
The system will be as follows.......

ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE
2GBs CORSAIR XMS PRO
ATHLON 64x2 4200+
ENERMAX LIBERTY 500W PSU
CREATIVE SOUND X-FI PLATINUM
XFX 7800GT PCI-EX VGA
ASUS DVD ROM
PLEXTOR DVD R/RW
160GB WD SATA HDD in VANTEC EZ SWAP HDD RACK
WINDOWS XP PRO SP2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 02:44 AM

Have you comtacted or referenced the motherboard's website to see what the recommend?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 iwaod

iwaod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:37 AM

I did and I was impatient perhaps. However they have responded and I am posting it here just in case someone else may have this question.

Here is the reply from ASUS
"You need a processor that does work with the bios the system has.

If you do not find an other processor, you can not update the bios because the system is not posting.

Therefore, you need to contact ASUS BIOS department at 502-995-0883 ext. 6907 and request bios chip with the latest bios software version installed."
end quote.

After further reading it appears that ASUS also installs a sticker on the motherboard box that states it is ready to run X2 chips if indeed the enclosed Motherboard has a bios on it already capable of running dual core. I didn't know that and since it was an online purchase I couldn't examine the box anyway. LOL

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:44 AM

BIOS chip replacements are not hard. But from personal experince be very careful. I have one of the pin cross a second pin in the socket (HP 533w) and smoked the BIOS chip. Turned the MB into a paper weight. Just though I would mention it.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users