Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Racism in today's society

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
69 replies to this topic

#1 lora777

lora777

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

I would like to have a calm discussion about racism in today's society. - What part does the media the government and the politicians have in it - or if they do have a part in it. - If they do, is it good, bad or ugly and how is it affecting and influencing us?

I really thought that racism was over in our country.. Now I don't mean completely.. I'm not stupid or naive and I am a realistic person and I do want to know the truth.

By the discussion we've had thus far in this forum, I started wondering about it. But when I read what was going on with the Zimmerman/Martin shooing, a better perspective, I believe, of what is going on concerning racism came to me.

The only blacks I've been exposed to on a personal level in a long long time were men my husband and I became acquainted with when we were team truckdrivers. Us being white and them being black meant nothing to us other then we had some great fun and made some great friends and one man in particular that we spent alot of time with. Race was never ever mentioned..it didn't need to be. They were just guys we liked that happened to be black... I loved those men. If you want to know the truth, we made friends easier with blacks when we were on the road, then we did whites...they were friendlier and more real.

Anywho.. I believe if the media, politicians and government would stay out of it as much as possible and let us work it out amongst ourselves, it would virtually go away.... "Most" people, useless they have something to gain by keeping it going, find racism ugly.

When I was growing up, I had two much older sisters that loved all music and black artists were enjoyed and loved.. How could we love to listen to them and love to watch them on television and hate them at the same time? I think without realizing it, that is why my generation didn't adapt our parents attitudes towards blacks..Because of the music industry.

My Father hated blacks and even though I loved him, I found the way he felt absurd and hurtful.

My Mother and sisters never talked about it...it was a non-issue with them.. But my sisters loved the black singers and it was never brought up that they were black...They bought their music, watched them on tv and to this day, I get goosie bumps and nostalgic when listening to the 'oldies but goodies'..

Edited by lora777, 23 May 2012 - 01:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Galyn

Galyn

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

Color is only skin deep. We are of the same color inside.

This is what Jigsaw said, which I find true.

#3 Alumar

Alumar

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:42 PM

Racism is simply about a certain race thinking that they are superior than the other, it's not only common with black and white people.

#4 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:21 AM

I was going to refrain from participating in this discussion..BUT I've changed my mind....
This is the definition of Racism or having a "Racist Additude"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

Such as The fact that in some cultures, a "racist Additude" is prevelent in the treatment of women...
Just being born "Female" is enough To get you Killed,Mutilated,Treated with utter contempt.

Racism isn't just about the pigmentation of ones skin, If we're going to discuss this, then we need to discuss all that "Racism" encompasses.

RESPECTFULLY

MissPlaced

Edited by MissPlaced, 25 May 2012 - 12:28 PM.

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#5 Sani-T-Capt1

Sani-T-Capt1

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

Racism isn't promoted by the media, it's promoted by your upbringing, meaning your parents, your parents parents etc. Some people have an epiphany and realize that one race, (there goes that labeling crap that keeps us divided) is no better than another race. Whether you believe in God, or Evolution, we are all created/born the same (save variations in physical/mental make-up which make us unique and not better than another), we all need to eat to live. we all need sleep to survive, and one day, we ALL will pass on from this known existence. I challenge any "Superior/Master" :lmao: :lmao: race to dispute the aforementioned facts

See my first signature for the reality of where mankind is headed if we don't change our mindset :crazy:

Refer to my second signature if you want to free yourself from the Matrix :thumbup2:

Edited by Sani-T-Capt1, 25 May 2012 - 11:15 AM.

Either We Learn to Live Together as People, Or Die Apart as Fools !

Ignorance ISN'T Bliss, It's Just "IGNORANCE"!!

#6 lora777

lora777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

@missplaced:yes there are many aspects to racism and they are all ugly.. my post is concerning blacks and whites only.. I'm not sure what you mean because when I clicked on you're link it said "The page "Racism." does not exist". ...so I'm not entirely sure of what you meant.

@santicapt: I got goosie bumps when I read yours.. I was just thinking the other day how what is going on is like the movie the matrix.. so I typed in - people being controlled like the matrix by television..or something like that..and -free yourself from the matrix came up -

btw..what do you mean by your signature and to refer to it?

gayln and alumar - exactly..I agree with you both.

Edited by lora777, 25 May 2012 - 11:41 AM.

#7 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

@ lora777,
The link iposted is about the definition of Racism, and it's many discription's and encompasses more then ,
Racism between African American's and Caucasians, as went on to explain, i hope this answer's your question?

Since your the OP, for this thread, is it your intent to only want to discuss "Racism between African American's and Caucasians"??

Perhaps i was confused by the title?

@ SCT1...Agreed 100%!!

RESPECTFULLY

MissPlaced

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#8 lora777

lora777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:08 PM

Yes..This post is about racism in America between blacks and whites. Sorry, I thought that was evident by the content and didn't occur to me to mention it.

Edited by lora777, 25 May 2012 - 01:09 PM.

#9 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

@ lora777,
Thank you for the explanation.

RESPECTFULLY

MissPlaced

~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#10 lora777

lora777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

Your welcome missplaced...

What I meant was and I'm sure I didn't make myself clear again... I didn't mean that I don't want it to go off into a different direction as discussions do, that's just part of it.. I just meant that was the topic,racism between blacks and whites.

But thinking about it..what does it really matter and I wish I had not said anything.

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

So I take it that the topic of racism is not open to covering the racism predominant in the southwest regarding Mexican-Americans or legal immigrants from Mexico or Latin American countries. Or the racism in Florida regarding Cuban Americans. Or the racism on the west coast regarding Asian Americans. Or the racism in Minnesota regarding Cambodian Americans. Lets not forget the prevailing anti-Muslim sentiment that has overshadowed the entire list of racist factions. This is strictly a White vs African American limited scope discussion?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

Intolerance, bigotry and racism all come from ignorance and spiritual isolation. And while no one has a window into men's souls, it is frightening when so large a segment of the American people publicly proclaim all three as well as act on them.

Edited by jgweed, 25 May 2012 - 03:57 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#13 lora777

lora777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

Animal - That was not my intention, no. But if I start another thread, I will certainly be more specific. Since I was not, please close the thread or continue on in any direction you wish.. I don't care.

#14 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

The topic has been started, and you have framed the specifics of it. I didn't plan on closing it. I wanted it clear to those who wish to participate what the specifics are. If the topic deviates continuously from your original topic subject matter it will be closed.

Thank you for setting the parameters more clearly.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#15 Sani-T-Capt1

Sani-T-Capt1

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

@lora, I was referring to the two sentences that I believe in strongly.

"Either We Learn to Live Together as People, Or Die Apart as Fools !"

There is only ONE RACE and that's the "HUMAN RACE" every other "label" is designed to keep people from looking at themselves. We fear taking inventory of ourselves because we may not like what we see. Mankind also has a propensity to want to dominate those weaker than themselves so that they can feel good about their own failings and shortcomings. It's easier to point out another's negatives or differences than to embrace our own and grow. I have a lot more to say on this matter but it truly doesn't have anything to do with racism save what racism truly does to society and mankind as a whole. Look up the phrase 'Red Herring', better yet, read the story "The Emperor's New Clothes" and see what you can glean from those two tasks that I have assigned to you.

STC1
Either We Learn to Live Together as People, Or Die Apart as Fools !

Ignorance ISN'T Bliss, It's Just "IGNORANCE"!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users